recommendation on candling light?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks4MyFamily, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    does anyone have a recommendation for a good candling light? I would love to see what is going on in these Black Copper Maran eggs, but none of the lights I use on my lighter eggs are strong enough

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

LED Flashlight coverd with a toilet peper roll. Thats what ive found that works. but it has to be one of thos extreamly bright LED lights

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
  4. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    I got a egg candler from Brinsea which is very bright and i still cant see into the Marans eggs!
    Had to just wait on them [​IMG] lol..

5. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    I made 2 candlers so I have light beaming in at both ends of the egg. One uses a maglight and the other uses a 13 watt flourescent light (which is the same brightness as a 60 watt bulb). Both of these "lights" burn COOL but bright which was important to me because I didn't want the shell getting hot if I candled more than 10-15 seconds. Here is a photo showing my "candlers" shining into a rust/brown, infertile RIR egg. I just used small boxes and items from around the house so I didn't have to spend big bucks.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by