Recommendations for a very small (2-4 birds) flock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CrazyChookChookLady, Jul 8, 2019.

1. CrazyChookChookLady

CrazyChookChookLady Songster

Jan 24, 2019
    New Bloomfield, PA
    Hello all!

I have convinced my employer to build a chicken coop (at work) and start a small flock for eggs for his family. I'm thinking a very small flock of 2 or 4 pullets, no roosters allowed.

I'm looking a a full size bird that is laid back, friendly, and does not need to free range. I will make sure they have plenty of coop and enclosed run space, but I doubt they will get to free range much.

My own personal flock I have BO, BPR, RIR, EE, and California Whites. I'd like to see what you have to say about breeds you currently have.

Thank you!

2. ronkonkoma

ronkonkoma Songster

May 4, 2014
    Long Island NY
    Silkies are not the best egg layers but in my opinion, they are the cutest and so friendly.

3. CrazyChookChookLady

Jan 24, 2019
    New Bloomfield, PA
    I LOVE my silkies too! I know he wants a full size egg otherwise, I'd be telling him to get those. Nothing is cuter then watching a cotton ball bounce across the yard!!

4. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Red Sex links. :D

5. CrazyChookChookLady

Jan 24, 2019
    New Bloomfield, PA
    Oh I forgot about those! They are super sweet, as I remember. My current full RIR is so loud I can hear her in the house, plus she's dumb as a brick, so full RIR are off the table. lol

6. HuffleClaw

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    My 2 Red sex links are my sweethearts. They both lay almost daily. :woot

7. HuffleClaw

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Then of course there’s also Easter Eggers. Full of diversity.

8. CrazyChookChookLady

Jan 24, 2019
    New Bloomfield, PA
    I do love my Easter Eggers. I just know my girls LOVE to be outside and that's not going to be much of an option here. They will have plenty of run space, but they won't be free ranging.

Sadly I'll still have to work during the day and can't just sit and watch the chickens. I haven't convinced him of that yet! :lau

9. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Plymouth Barred Rocks or White Plymouth Rocks. Mine lay well, and are friendly. Salmon faverolles are attractive and mild mannered, but mine aren’t laying yet, so can’t comment there. Our Black Jersey Giant is very large, attractive black with beetle green sheen, docile, but not the best layer -just moderate.

10. CrazyChookChookLady

Jan 24, 2019
    New Bloomfield, PA
    I've considered the Jersey Giants. Do you have yours confined to a run or free ranging?

ButtonquailGirl14 and ValerieJ like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: