Recommendations for premade pop doors

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
https://www.chewy.com/chickenguard-...oZtYDw9wZyTJYNYR4e8YBoCdwUQAvD_BwE#pdpGallery

What do you all think of this one?
1607645781522.png

hayley3

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Doesn’t have to be automatic. Unless you can realllly plead the case for a particular automatic model, I do think I’m learning more toward manual. However, I do have outlets next to each door location.

aaaaaamd GO!
I went with the Pullet-Shut door because it doesn't take up as much room. Since I had to cut metal siding to install it, I wanted it to be as little work as possible.
I also have electric so I could plug in the battery.
It's the largest door. You can set it on a particular time or just let it open when the sun comes up.
There is an internal switch to set the photo sensor to open/close the door up to 90 mins later. You can open the door anytime you want to with a magnet key.
So it will open about 9:20 am but I let my girls out at 8:30 am, so I just use the magnet, which I leave attached to the side of my coop.

The other door I liked was the Omlet but it has to have room to slide open. Guillotine doors have to have room to slide up.

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
I went with the Pullet-Shut door because it doesn't take up as much room. Since I had to cut metal siding to install it, I wanted it to be as little work as possible.
I also have electric so I could plug in the battery.
It's the largest door. You can set it on a particular time or just let it open when the sun comes up.
There is an internal switch to set the photo sensor to open/close the door up to 90 mins later. You can open the door anytime you want to with a magnet key.
So it will open about 9:20 am but I let my girls out at 8:30 am, so I just use the magnet, which I leave attached to the side of my coop.

The other door I liked was the Omlet but it has to have room to slide open. Guillotine doors have to have room to slide up.
I have the option to put in whatever style I want, but I really don’t want to spend more than $100 AT MOST for a door

Tervish

Chirping
Jul 8, 2020
SW WA, PNW
I have the Omlet door and love it! Yes it is over $100 ($189 list price) BUT it lets the chickens out at dawn with the light sensing door, and *I* am not out there at the crack of dawn to do it manually. Priceless.

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
So I ended up going with the chicken guard locking coop door. The reason why is because my budget has tightened a good bit and you can order the automated door opener separate so I’ll probably get it at a later date. I actually need three coop doors so I’d be looking at far too much money to get them all automated. I don’t trust light sensitive door openers outright, but my run will be covered with a metal roof so I’m not sure how accurate it would be. As it is, I’m awake before sunrise year round anyways :(

hayley3

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
So I ended up going with the chicken guard locking coop door. The reason why is because my budget has tightened a good bit and you can order the automated door opener separate so I’ll probably get it at a later date. I actually need three coop doors so I’d be looking at far too much money to get them all automated. I don’t trust light sensitive door openers outright, but my run will be covered with a metal roof so I’m not sure how accurate it would be. As it is, I’m awake before sunrise year round anyways :(
I actually didn't want the opener for the mornings either because I am always home. Good that you could get it separate. I bought mine on what I call Paypal "layaway", which is where I put most big purchases.
I wanted an automated door for evenings when it gets dark at 5pm...seems I am always rushing home so the chickens are not in danger and it is a BIG pain sometimes to have to drop what I'm doing and hurry home.

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
I actually didn't want the opener for the mornings either because I am always home. Good that you could get it separate. I bought mine on what I call Paypal "layaway", which is where I put most big purchases.
I wanted an automated door for evenings when it gets dark at 5pm...seems I am always rushing home so the chickens are not in danger and it is a BIG pain sometimes to have to drop what I'm doing and hurry home.
That’s why I want one too. I don’t get off until six and home until seven. My boyfriend is good about locking them up but sometimes he forgets. It feels like it’s only a matter of time until something happens :/ this is also why we are getting a covered run. It’s still dark when I leave and let them out in the mornings too!

hayley3

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
That’s why I want one too. I don’t get off until six and home until seven. My boyfriend is good about locking them up but sometimes he forgets. It feels like it’s only a matter of time until something happens :/ this is also why we are getting a covered run. It’s still dark when I leave and let them out in the mornings too!
Sad to say, that's when mine got massacred...I lived in the CST time zone and it was getting dark at 4:30...I got home 5 mins before dark and I couldn't even find the bodies because it was too dark after I came out of the initial shock.

Top Bottom