Recommendations for small incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by michickenwrangler, Jan 18, 2010.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    DH gave me the go ahead to get an incubator. Since our red sex link hens have not shown the slightest inclination to go broody, I doubt that they would hatch their own eggs.

Capacity: 12-20 eggs (give or take)

Egg turner preferred.

Less than $200

Relatively fail safe, good choice for a newbie?

I've brooded chicks before with nary a loss and DH thinks its odd to buy more chicks since we have a roo and hens.

Thanks

2. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I personally LOVE my brower Top Hatch! It works really good and is not as expensive as some of them. It has auto turn and a fan! I think its a good deal for the money!

[​IMG]

3. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Look at the Brinsea 20 - Capacity 24 eggs, and you cna get the manual version for around 100.00 or with auto turner. I have the eco mini from Brinsea and it holds 7-9 eggs. It is an awesome little incubator. I have ordered this one to have more capacity. I expect it will be just as reliable. [​IMG]

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I have had nothing but EGGCEPTIONAL hatches with the Hovabator 1588. You can get it with both fan and turner for under 200. It is preset and has had 100 percent hatches for me (with eggs from my own pen) and Amazing hatches on shipped eggs... If I absolutely have to have it hatch... I put it in the 1588. It is a No brainer for ppl on the go It hold 4 dozen eggs in the turner.

5. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    What are approx. dimensions on some of these? Recommendations for still air or forced? Are egg turners worth it?

Thanks

6. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:Would I need a hygrometer with this one?

7. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by