1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Recommendations on pitch forks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Jul 4, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I am sick of poorly made pitchforks. Can someone tell me of a good one I can find? Where I could find one?

2. RoeDylanda

RoeDylanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Central CT
    I second this request! Also, anybody fond of a particular kind for goat pens?

Thanks!

3. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    4 prong ones are the best for balance, but I haven't seen one since I was a kid. I hate the 3 prong ones unless I am out stalking the neighbours.[​IMG] Next best thing is a 4 prong manure fork.

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I bought 4 old style heavy duty forks at an estate/barn sale. 3 and 4 prong good heavy spring steel.

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    They need to be made of forged steel, not welded. Sturdy handles.

Number of tines depends on what you'll be forking with it. Coarse long stranded stuff like hay and straw and you can use a four tine fork. Finer stuff like shavings, manure, etc. and you'll be better off with an eight tine manure fork. Turning up soil needs a spading fork (very stout).

I would like in feed stores, real hardware stores, farm supplies and the like. Forged steel heads with stout handles.

6. RoeDylanda

RoeDylanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Central CT
    Thanks! Appreciate the advice about hay vs. shavings as well. Having grown up without livestock, I'm stunned by how much I don't know. Sometimes the goats look at me like... wow, how did *you* get to be in charge? [​IMG]

7. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    thank you all for the suggestions

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I would suggest going to flea markets or old timey hardware stores for some. You can tell if they are old.

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Ok was I the only one who thought of the ogre hunting in shrek?

10. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Nope, I totally thought/was hoping this thread was going to be about angry mobbing. Very disappointed in you all. :headshake:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by