1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Recommendations: Sussex or Plymouth Rock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Thataussielady, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Thataussielady

Thataussielady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    I've decided to add some new chickens to my flock but I've decided out of two breeds. I have gone through the BYC breeds list and have had a look at the pros and cons but it would be good if someone could compare them to each other. I'm mainly looking at egg production and personality of them. I have heard that Plymouth rocks can be aggressive but others say they are very sweet. If anyone could talk about their personal experiences that would be great. :)

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've raised both Barred Rocks and Speckled Sussex and they are both great breeds, essentially equal in both hardiness and egg laying ability. I would give a slight nod to the Sussex for temperament. Most of my Barred Rocks have been docile, but once in a while I had an aggressive individual that I ended up culling from the flock. My Sussex tended to be a little friendlier and I never had one that I would call aggressive (beyond the usual pecking order than occurs with any breed). Whichever you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by