Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NoNameHomestead, Jan 21, 2018.

1. NoNameHomestead

NoNameHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2018
    Sumter, SC
    We are wanting to add a few ducks to our “farm” and wanted to know what breed(s) would be good for first time duck owners. Also, what is recommended for living space.

Duck Lover88 likes this.
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Congrats on deciding to get ducks! What breed you get will depend on what you want them for - meat, eggs, just to look cute, etc. Pekins are a good choice for someone who wants eggs, and also would like to eat any excess ducks they end up with. Runners and khaki campbells are excellent layers, but not as good for meat. They're also a tad on the nervous side. Welsh harlequins (and I'm gonna admit I'm biased here, because they are what I have bred for several years now) are a great choice too - good egg layers, very calm, good mothers if that's something you're interested in.

If you just want pets, Calls are a great choice. Small, friendly birds that don't eat a lot and bond easily with people. They aren't great layers, however, and they can fly, so that might take some management.

Living space is pretty much the same as chickens - four or five square feet of space in the coop per bird, at least ten square feet in the run per bird.

3. NoNameHomestead

Jan 3, 2018
    Sumter, SC
    Sorry, I should’ve mentioned that I want them for eggs.

4. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    khaki campbells are excellent layers and are also good for meat just a tad smaller.
    All of mine are laying trough the winter.

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    In that case, pekins, khaki campbells, runners, and welsh harlequins are breeds you might want to take a look at and see which you like best. Pekins and Welshies are calmer than the other two breeds, if that's something that matters to you.

6. Silver Appleyard are great layers and not as common.
    Excellent, Docile Ducks..Plus so pretty..

NoNameHomestead and Duck Lover88 like this.
  7. NoNameHomestead

Jan 3, 2018
    Sumter, SC
    Do you sell Welshies on here?

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I sell hatching eggs when the birds are laying :)

NoNameHomestead likes this.
  9. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    CD04E7CA-5EC5-4C34-B3EA-29DC3F2CFB4E.jpeg I am with duck lover88, I love my Khaki Campbell’s and my three girls have continued to give me an egg a day through the winter. They will give you more eggs than the other breeds mentioned. My oldest girl hasn’t missed giving me an egg a day but a few days in the last two years. Several people will say they are more nervous (who don’t seem to have them), I am not sure what they mean or if it is a bad thing. If they mean they hide quickly when a predatory bird is over head or are leary of brand new things then yes. But, they will love you and run to you if you spend time with them when young and give them treats.

Duck Lover88 and NoNameHomestead like this.
  10. NoNameHomestead

Jan 3, 2018
    Sumter, SC
    How often will Welshies lay? Also, how well do they hold up in very hot temps? In the peak of summer it will get 100-103 here. Same question for Khaki Campbells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by