Recommended Antibotics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizardboy55, Apr 6, 2016.

1. lizardboy55

lizardboy55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hello,

I need to purchase some antibiotics for my chickens but don't know what kind to get. I would prefer the kind that gets mixed into water. If y'all have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

What are you treating? Recommended antibiotics will vary quite a lot depending on what they are used for.

3. lizardboy55

Jun 13, 2011

To be honest I don't know. My one hen just won't eat. I feel it's some kind of desies. Is there an antibiotic that is for general use?

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Have you done a physical exam? How does her crop feel? Has she begun to lose weight?

Terramycin and/or Gallimycin is designed for use in respiratory diseases, but it's semi-effective as a general antibiotic. It's available at most feed stores in powdered, water soluble form. The dosage charts on the back are terrible but dosage ranges from a low dose of 1tsp per gallon to a high dose of about 2tsp per gallon.

5. lizardboy55

Jun 13, 2011

Yes, I have. Her crop is empty. This morning it was little and hard like it gets when there's a little left so that tells me she ate last night. So that's good.

I will try thoses and let you know. Honestly I just want to help the poor little girl without hurting her even more.

Thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by