Recommended Goat Treats for Making Friends?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickylou, Mar 21, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    We would like to make friends with our goats. Any special treats you would recommend that might warm them up to the family? Just table scraps? If so, then what?

Thanks in Advance:D

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Anything they love in moderation. Animal crackers, fresh veggies...you name it.

I'm taming Oreo II with alfalfa pellets right now. He thinks they're worth climbing in my lap for [​IMG]

3. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    We have tried a lot of different things, but you cannot beat animal crackers. They are cheap and you can eat them too. I put a mailbox up near the goat pen, and I keep animal crackers in it for my neighbors to use when they bring their grandkids by. Even my biggest scardy cat will come to me for an animal cracker. Kids only get to give them through the fence or they will get mobbed.

4. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    We give them a little bit of whole oats.
    To be honest though the scaredy goats will come for oats but they still aren't very pet-able. The goat we got as a retired show goat will come for a scratch or a cuddle and yes he loves treats too but he's gladly stick around without.

I know this isn't very helpful in yoru case. I am just mentioning it in case somebody is reading thsi before they get their goats:
    get a goat that has been handled from an early age. One that grew up on the range will be really, really tough to tame with anything.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We use animal crackers as well. I just buy the big plastic container of them at costco and it lasts us a good long while. They love them!

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Mine like raisins! [​IMG] Or anything edible.

7. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    Raisins!! Good FOR them too

8. lilhill

lilhill Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Alabama
    Walk in there with a bag of corn tortilla chips, but be forewarned, you will be mobbed. They love 'em and forget about being flighty.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  9. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Plain popped popcorn. When we had goats, they loved it. It is cheap and keeps for a long time.

10. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Raisans here. I like the animal cracker idea though. With kids, raisans are harder because they are so small. I am hosting some co-workers and their kids next weekend and was thinking what they could give as treats.

Thanks - going to buy some animal crakers. Give them a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by