Breeding to the Standard

I treat it, but it keeps popping up. :hmm I'm thinking I'm going to try Ivermectin soon because Vaseline isn't doing anything. One mutt with feathered legs has almost no scales left despite being treated as soon as I noticed and then multiple times since then. Sigh. It's hard to notice, too, because it's so slow-spreading. I don't handle the average flock member that much and it's invisible from viewing a few feet away.

Aw, sorry to hear that! :hmm I hope the Ivermectin works for you if you do go that route!

P1340352.JPG

Feathers, left to right, of three bantams: Luna, Jace, and Georgia.
The first and last birds have already been described here, but the middle, Jace, wasn't included because I won't be breeding her. She has very poor cold tolerance. As you can see, she has longer feathering than Luna, but she's smaller and I think has thinner down. I thought it made for an interesting comparison. All feathers were taken from just below the hackle line on their backs. I'll update this post with each new generation to see if I can get average feather length and down quality to stay closer to Georgia's length while still achieving the type I would like to see.

Photographs of DQ's as per the SOP that go across all breeds. More will be added as they crop up. I had a hard time visualising some of the defects from the illustrations that were provided, so maybe this will provide clarification to someone else that's starting out and having a hard time. Or, if I get it wrong, then someone can correct me. ;)

A twisted wing feather in Sweetheart, the non-standard PC.
P1340347.JPG

Normal wing.
P1340348.JPG
She's currently moulting so they're not all in all the way.

Crooked keel in Tyler, the Ameraucana cockerel from post one.
P1340389.JPG

Last edited:
Radar is a pretty cool name! :thumbsup He's a handsome little guy, too! Based on how my duckwing-patterned cockerels have feathered in in the past, I think you're pretty close to right on with his age.
Great, thanks. He was hatched by a broody at my friend's place sometime this spring, but I don't remember exactly when. He's a pretty feisty little guy: on his first night here he tried to fence fight with my boss rooster. He would have gotten his butt kicked if he was out.

Radar has been integrated fully. He's a nice addition to the flock and should make some great babies. I processed a few birds, including Tyler, who had an extremely crooked breastbone. Good thing I didn't breed him. PC #10 is definitely female, and I'm waiting to see if she'll be better than her siblings in colour from that dark starting point.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom