1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Recorded Egg Production for the Month

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ghulst, Jan 31, 2009.

1. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I have three Isa Brown Pullets that are laying machines. I like to keep records so that is what I did for the month of January. They laid a total of 93 eggs for the month.That is 3 eggs everyday. They were 27 weks old Jan1.
    Feed 31 lbs at .174 cents a lb.=$5.39
    Replacement cost for 12 months lay = $1.00
    Total cost $6.39
    That comes to 82 cents per doz. Avg. wt. per doz. was 30 ozs
    I was schocked by the egg production . I had 3 eggs every morning at 8AM. It was very cold all month here in Michigan. Always below freezing. They were given water at 8AM and 3PM plus feed . I feed a 17% laying mash . The pullets cost me $7.00 each at 20 weeks and I think I will get $3.00 after they have laid out. I would like to get a calculation when I can pasture the hens and see what the cost would be. I'm thinking that it could cut the feed intake in half. Has anyone of you done that?

2. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Hi.

I think you could cut feed costs by pasturing.
    I also think your production will drop some. Besides, it cannot get any better than it is now.
    Even if your eggs numbers decline, the savings by pasturing should still result in lower input costs per dozen eggs.
    If you keep those hens a second year, you'll definitely see a production drop no matter how you feed them.

Good luck.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Congratulations !!

You are doing real well on the feed costs right now. Each of them is only eating 1/3 pound per day. And, you are buying your feed for $8.70 per 50 pound bag.

I think I've done the numbers right. Treat 'em nice [​IMG]!

Steve

4. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    My next test will be putting 3 hens on pasture. I have some that are 18 weeks now.and will run them on pasture. Will put the results on here this summer. I also would like to put on laying mash and whole corn and see what prodution and cost would be. Fun Fun Fun

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:Whole corn isn't your best choice -- it has a tendency to increase their body fat, which interferes with production. I think I've also read that unless it's cracked the hull is too hard for them to digest, they can't get the benefit of the nutrients that are in the corn.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Mine average .23 of a pound per day. I have 27 chickens including 4 cockerels. I go through a 50 pound bag in about 8 days.

In the summer when they are free ranging I go through a lot less. A lot less feed now without ducks as well. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by