1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Recovered Weak Legged Cockeral, Hope This Helps Someone Else

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rlhagan56, May 7, 2017.

1. rlhagan56

rlhagan56 Songster

Mar 10, 2012
    Out West
    I had an 8 week old Speckled Sussex rooster that all of a sudden (it seemed) could not stand or walk more than a few seconds. I researched on here for help, in the meantime I realized I had noticed that although he acted normal,his comb and wattles had gone pale and he was very laid back the week before. But I couldn't see any problems with him. His crop was empty and he was very skinny once I held him to check for injury. Hind sight is 20/20 isn't it? I realized he couldn't reach the food or water so I lowered those to ground level. He ate and drank like crazy. I ran into the house and grabbed my liquid B vit complex and added it to their water along with a stronger dose (water already had vit supplement in it) of the vitamins. 3 days later not much improvement, but he seemed happy and no pain. He enjoyed sunbathing with the others. Told my husband that when he got off work for the weekend I needed him to put Flash down. Next day I saw noticeable improvement! Kept my eye on him, and today two days later he is back to normal!

I think he just needed a vitamin boost and got weaker from not being able to reach the feed and water. I usually spend time every day watching my flocks, looking for any issues. I had been busy and hadn't taken time to really check on everyone. I learned a lot from this lesson and the B complex vitamins made the difference. It took 4 days to see improvement, during which time I made sure he was able to eat and drink with the others. I also made up boiled mashed egg with the B complex vitamins making sure Flash got plenty.

1 person likes this.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thanks for sharing this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by