recovering after a devastating loss.. advice needed

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickensducks&agoose, Jul 29, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

We lost our Princess Josephine yesterday. our month old tiny sweet chinese gosling. she went down in 1 day, seizures etc... not niacin def, now thinking it may have been some sort of internal injury caused by a larger goose. Anyway, we spent yesterday crying, and this morning, i got a call from a lady trying to get rid of 1 or 2 of her month old chinese goslings... i'm thinking about it. I know it won't be the same, but I hope they are still young enough to form a bond... what do you think?
  2. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    I am so sorry about your goose. I can say that I acquired 2 of my geese and they were 5 months old at the time and had no problems with them adjusting to me. I'm sure you would have no problems bonding with a 1-2 month old. I'm sure it won't be the same but at least you'd have something to keep you occupied to ease the hurt [​IMG]
  3. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I would take the geese. They won't be the one you lost, but they'll create their own heartspace. I just lost 2 of my Chinese geese and a favorite crested duck. Don't know what got them, maybe a coyote, but next year I'll have MORE geese and duckies! I miss those 2 cantankerous and funny geese though, it's not the same when I don't get rushed when I go outside. The gander used to come over and tell the barn cats to get off my lap and if they didn't, they got bit. Cracked me up to see a cat run from a bird!
  4. marathonmultiplesmom

marathonmultiplesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    Quote:LOL my cats run from mine as well. Its a stand-off with dogs. Neither will bother the other but the cats run away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by