1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Recovering from Pasty Butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Urchickchic, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Urchickchic

Urchickchic Just Hatched

Apr 7, 2017
    I am raising my first flock. They are three weeks old and two of the three barre rocks got pasty butt the first week. My Easter Eager's and Rhode Island reds were unaffected. I they all came from the feed store and were a few days old. this showed up in the first week. One had it bad and was very stunted. As soon as I realized what it was, I cleaned it off and kept her vent clean with the water q tip and Vaseline as it reoccurred for a few days. Unfortunately she lost the down around her vent. At three weeks it hasn't grown back. She is thriving now, finally getting wing feathers , she eats drinks , is social and seems relaxed and lays down. She is also half the size of the others. I don't see her getting pecked and she is eating, drinking, and pooping normally. Should I be concerned and are there any other steps I should take? Thanks for the advice!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd say that you have done a good job! If the chick is acting normally and thriving, then I'm not sure what else you can do.

ETA: Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    [​IMG]
    Some chicks are slow growers. If she is acting normally, and not getting picked on, you did the right thing, and she'[s just fine. Pasty Butt can be caused by a chick getting too cold, so you might try raising their brooder temperature next time.

4. Urchickchic

Urchickchic Just Hatched

Apr 7, 2017
    Thanks! I was just concerned that the down was not growing back-- will they get another growth of down or do they go right from down to feathers? I just want to know if I should expect the little one to grow down back or just go right to feathers. Thanks!

5. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    They will. Go right to feathers, which include some down and fluff of course, but not like chick down.

6. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    The bare spot will feather in eventually as it normally would have grown feathers to replace or add to the down. No worries and honestly less down gives less of a place for poop to accumulate for now so be happy. I have a Polish that had persistent pasty butt that I kept swabbing with coconut oil after each cleaning due to the more reported benefits of coconut oil I researched. His pasty butt kept reoccurring while all of the other 10 chicks were unaffected. Finally when there was almost no more down to catch on it got less intense and the swelling was able to recede from not having to work at getting it off so hard. Be happy if it is more bare and keep doing what you are doing.

7. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Of our 12 chicks, I think five of them had pasty butt at one point or another. Seems to be an issue in the 0-3 week range mostly. My observation is that their necks grow long enough at that point that they can groom the vent area themselves. We tried the moist paper towel method, and that was ineffective. So we just dunked their rear ends in a bowl of warm water and fondled the dingleberries until they broke up and came off. With two chicks, the down got patchy around the vents. We kept an eye on them to make sure the others didn't vent-peck them. We bought a bottle of Blu-Kote, just in case - haven't had to use it yet.

Our chicks seem to be going directly to feathers, so having a sorta-bald butt for a week didn't cause issues. We made sure the chicks had plenty of space to roam around, and had some things to play with. If my children are any indication, when they're bored, they will beat on each other ... just because there's nothing else to do.

1 person likes this.
  8. sas212

sas212 Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    Southwestern Idaho
    I was using warm water on a cotton pad to clean up the [​IMG] butts but found through trial and error that a cotton pad soaked with a few drops of olive oil was more effective at cleaning their little hiney and it leaves a little coating on their vents that helps to keep them a bit cleaner. I'm all about moisturizing that little booty!

9. Urchickchic

Urchickchic Just Hatched

Apr 7, 2017
    Thanks for all the info! They are thriving. Little Poo (the stunted one) is finally catching up in size. We just finished building the coop this weekend and that will be the next big step.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by