Recovering from shock?

jeighlynn

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2020
My hen suffered a shock on Sat. The coop was attacked by bees. In order to get them out of danger we brought them inside in a dog crate until we could get rid of the bees. The other 3 hens were fine with the move, but my Barred Rock was definitely in shock. She just stood around and stared into space, though she was drinking water. Later than evening she started interacting with the other chickens but it took her until the next morning to act normal and come greet me. She seems perfectly fine now, but has not laid an egg since Sat morning. I admit it is very hot right now with 93-100 degree temps, but it's a little concerning because none of the other chickens have stopped laying and it was hot before and she laid. She normal lays daily and only misses a day here and there. Could her lack of eggs be because of the shock she suffered on Sat? She is eating, and drinking. Her abdomen does not feel any different than normal. Her droppings are a little runny, but that could be the heat, I have noticed that they tend to get more runny in the heat. I'm really beginning to get worried about her even though she is acting just fine. How long does it take chickens to return to normal and start laying after a shock?

:welcome Very likely the stop in egg laying is due to stress. She may resume shortly, or may molt before restarting another egg laying cycle.

Thanks so much for the answer. I was around chickens when I was younger on my grandparents farm, but this is my first time as a chicken owner. So I was not sure about shock and how long the recovery is. I appreciate the info.

My hen suffered a shock on Sat. The coop was attacked by bees. In order to get them out of danger we brought them inside in a dog crate until we could get rid of the bees. The other 3 hens were fine with the move, but my Barred Rock was definitely in shock. She just stood around and stared into space, though she was drinking water. Later than evening she started interacting with the other chickens but it took her until the next morning to act normal and come greet me. She seems perfectly fine now, but has not laid an egg since Sat morning. I admit it is very hot right now with 93-100 degree temps, but it's a little concerning because none of the other chickens have stopped laying and it was hot before and she laid. She normal lays daily and only misses a day here and there. Could her lack of eggs be because of the shock she suffered on Sat? She is eating, and drinking. Her abdomen does not feel any different than normal. Her droppings are a little runny, but that could be the heat, I have noticed that they tend to get more runny in the heat. I'm really beginning to get worried about her even though she is acting just fine. How long does it take chickens to return to normal and start laying after a shock?
Usually a week or more without anymore stress added on to the problem.

Back
Top Bottom