Recovering from wry neck.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carolg61, Aug 21, 2013.

1. carolg61

carolg61 New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    Vermont
    Thank you to all who posted your experience with wry neck. I'm new to caring for chickens and had a 2 month old rooster with wry neck. I went to google and found the BYC site and the forum. At first I thought he had a broken neck but after reading the many posts, wry neck seemed to fit. I started the vitamin therapy and after 10 days he was able to start walking. He still has neck spasms, but is improving every day. I would like to know what to expect. Will it come back? How long should I give the vitamins? Will I need to take precautions during the winter? Vermont can be below 0 for days at a time. Any information will be greatly appreciated!!!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

That is great that he is better!

Wry neck can be caused by infection, injury (brain swelling) and vitamin deficiency (maybe other causes too). So it would depend on the cause.

3. carolg61

carolg61 New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    Vermont
    I ordered some books on chicken health and will keep reading for more information. Thank you for your reply!!!

4. carolg61

carolg61 New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    Vermont
    Just to update the progress. The rooster is happily back with the flock and doing well. His balance is a little off but may improve with time. Stopped the vitamin therapy 2 weeks ago. The weather is colder but does't seem to be a problem. Hopefully on the way to a complete recovery!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by