Recovering Hen Having Trouble Balancing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by notv, Mar 6, 2012.

1. notv

notv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Hi all -- I've got a 2yr old buff orpington who has slowly recovered from what we thought was either (1) egg perotinitis (2) sour crop/crop impaction

Her symptoms at first involved no eating or drinking, no movement, lack of balance, falling over a lot. I was convinced she was going to die overnight as she wasn't eating or drinking at all. I began force feeding her electrolyte water (emergen-z) solution mixed with a little crushed aspirin, sulmet and water, but it was very hard to get her to eat. After a couple days she began eating scrambled eggs but not much else, then progressed to baby chick feed.

When I fed her I would smell an awful smell coming from her mouth, which I thought at first might be coryza or sour crop. When she would eat a little bit, she would have to sort of stop every 5 minutes and really try to process her food, or in pain from it. Her mouth still does not smell fantastic but her appetite improves each day.

We've provided electrolytes, yogurt, acv, boiled eggs, chick feed, poly-vi-sol on bread, sulmet, valbazen and now just started duramycin.

Her poops were neon green, which I understand is usually reflective of either excess bile expelled from not eating, or the soft egg yolk from egg perotonitis. Now they are returning to a more normal color, although still with shades of green.

It seems we can rule out perotonitis because she would have passed away by now. She does not have any mucus or eye discharge, her eyes look normal and not misshapen, she is a fussy eater but her appetite improves each day, she remains ambilivelent about water.

Although she is walking more than last week, the biggest remaining symptom that has yet to significantly improve is her inability to walk with strength or maintain balance. She will sort of rock back and forth to maintain her balance. When I first put her on the ground in the morning she may fall over to one side -- it appears both are susceptibel to this weakness. I have felt both her legs and don't feel anything broken or out of place. I began giving poly-vi-sol in case it was a vitamin deficiency. It could be that she is still too weak from not eating, but the lack of balance brings up potential of mareks or fungal infection. She was a lost chicken found in Portland, where most households acquire chickens from local nurserys that vaccinate, so we are leaning towards the possibility that she was vaccinated. So other than Marek's, we are sort of stumped here.

We've had 3 chickens from another flock originally that likely carried Marek's: Eleanor died 2 yrs ago definitely from mareks (we got a necropsy), Sadie Ann about 3 months ago which we assumed was her end of life match with Mareks after 3 yrs. Penelope the 3yo black sexlink remain hardy although does not really lay anymore (we are just learning now about Mycoplasma and she may have had it for awhile). We have 1yo chickens who are very healthy and lay everyday.

Anyway, we would welcome any feedback or thoughts about other possible disease/treatment options. Unfortunately we don't have the resources to access a vet at this time. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. notv

notv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    After a week of solid improvement Godzilla passed away this morning :( Her remaining poops were solid black with green fluid.

I'm thinking egg perotonitis or liver damage may have been the cause, and may have just taken a really long time to cause problems.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by