Recovering in Baton Rouge, LA from Gustav

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by RedStickLA, Sep 8, 2008.

1. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    [​IMG] My powers back on! [​IMG]

We are picking up the pieces in Baton Rouge, Louisiana after Gustav…It's bad here!

Baton Rouge and the surrounding area is a mess...it is going to take a long time to get it cleaned up! There are SO many homes with trees on them. It is so sad. I have about 8 neighbors just around me that have trees on their homes. We are very blessed not to have lost any trees or our home. All we had is a lot of tree limbs down and some shingles missing off our roof. I lost one hen who escaped when I was locking them up that night...we tried to find her but it was dark and the weather had already started getting bad so we had to give up. One of my dogs found her dead after the storm.

[​IMG] My sister lost her mobile home...the roof blew off. The insurance adjuster came out today and said it is a total loss. We are trying to salvage as much of their things as we can. I feel so bad for her…it is so hard. On a good note the box with her children’s baby pictures that was in a closet made it. I had stood in my kitchen consoling her while she cried when she got upset telling me that her daughter forgot to get that box when they were gathering up important things to bring with them before the storm hit. [​IMG] So it was so awesome that it made it…because not much did.

I don't know what we are going to do if Ike comes here...I mean you can not even stock up at the grocery store with supplies. There is nothing! No milk, bread, eggs, meat or can goods! (Well at least I DO have eggs![​IMG])
    We are just starting to be able to get fuel without waiting for hours in a line BEFORE the fuel truck even arrives with the fuel!

[​IMG] Go away Ike…Louisiana has had enough!

Mitzi

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    O that is good Mitzi, that you are ok. Not so good about your sister losing her home. I didn't see this thread till now. (when I saw you were online I jotted a quick pm to you) Glad evryone is ok. [​IMG]

How did your son do on the 'new' job?

3. RedStickLA

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Well my son will defiantly have a story to tell about his first day on the job as a police officer. I answered your PM with a little more detail about it.

[​IMG] Thanks for asking about us.

Mitzi

4. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Glad that you all faired ok. Sorry about the one chicken though.

I hope that you guys won't get hit again this year with another hurricane.

5. RedStickLA

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Thanks wyliefarms...

I was upset about the chicken but there is so much destruction around it makes me feel guilty about being upset about that.

It's starting to look like Ike will hit Texas. I sure hope it just breaks up and does not hit anyone.

Mitzi

6. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Last report from my husband is:
    They are working on getting power restored.
    it could still take 2 more weeks unfortunately,
    22 Line crews went from our area alone and I believe he said 55 more crews were headed south.
    Prayers for every one effected by that storm.

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    So glad to hear that your power is back on. All my family lives around there, some in Baton Rouge, some in St. Francisville, some in Jackson. I hear that Ike is coming for the TX coast now. I sure hope we at least get rain out of it. I feel for the people on the coast.

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    We got our power & phones back at home this past Friday & at work yesterday. Still a huge mess in the back pasture--lost one of our 100 year old pecan trees, & our barn is a total loss too. But--the house was spared so we are counting our blessings!

So sorry to hear about your sister's house & the loss of your hen too. Hope this is it for the year; looks like Ike is turning more towards Mexico this morning. Wish it would disapear all together.

9. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Glad to hear yall are okay, so sorry to hear about your sisters home.
    My sister lives in BR as well & just got her power back on Sunday.She lost a couple of small trees but her house was spared.
    Yall take care,Miriam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by