recovering sick duck isolated from group

alex2370

Hatching
Mar 14, 2017
Hi Everyone, I am new on here. I live In Northumberland , UK. I have 7 ducks, 4 Buff Orpingtons (1 drake, 3 female) and 3 Khaki Cambells (1drake, 2 females). All was fine until last week when two of the buff females became ill with what we think may have been an infective conjunctivitis. Oozy eye and temperature, unwell behaviour. We got them to the vets and medicated. They were isolated . etc. This morning I put them them back with the flock, one has been accepted back in no problem, The other has been chased off by the drakes (she was more poorly of the two). She is now hiding under the duck house .... Could anyone out there give me some advice on what to do please? I was new to duck keeping a year ago but am learning fast!! Thank you.

Welcome to BYC. I would also post on the duck thread (look under the Forum head above.) You might try putting her in a dog crate with food and a lrge container of water for a day or two, so they can see her. Or separate the drake for a couple of days. I am more familiar with chickens, but I think that ducks need a water container to wash their faces, so maybe that is the problem. Of course, conjunctivitis and respiratory diseases such as MG are common.

A tried and true way to re-introduce a single duck back into the flock would be to house them adjacently, so they can be seen and heard, but protected from the others, Youll have to make sure the odd one out has shelter from the sun/weather, usually 2/3 days like this the introduction goes smoother, but it will never be flawless. Theres always that one that will pull a feather or goose the hen so to speak. A cage or secondary enclosure (which can be used for chicks as well) that share a common fence is the best way I know of. I myself am going through the same thing and this is what is working for me. Good luck!

I’m not sure if this is the right thread on which to post, but I had a duck who was attacked by a dog. He had a pretty significant wound behind his leg and a couple other less major punctures. This happened Sunday. Since then, I have been doing warm baths, wound cleaning and applying Vetricyn and antibiotic ointment. It got a little chilly here to put him outside in a crate in the coop (he has a brother to whom he is attached and bonded, want to keep them together), so I brought them inside and keeping them in a dog crate. The wounds are healing great, to the best of my knowledge, but they muck up the crate so bad that I’m not sure it is the best environment? Currently I have them in the crate w no plastic tray and a towel underneath the crate so they arent walking & laying in their poo. I need some tips on how to isolate him and keep his space clean. I have pets in the house and no extra actual room to let them stay out (small house). I think I have a good handle on his wounds and they are better every day. Just cant seem to keep his area clean while isolating.

Back
Top Bottom