recovering wry neck, back in coop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeannieo, May 20, 2010.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Hi, I posted a few days ago about my girl Precious with wry neck and I got lots of great information. I'm putting 400 IU vit. e in her food 2X daily, 3 drops b complex 1X daily, 3 drops polyvisol directly in beak 1X daily. I have her in the house and her head still tilts a bit but does anyone think I can put her back in the coop with the 22 of her roommates? I would still give her the vitamins for at least a week maybe two, I've read both, and feed her separately to make sure she's getting all she's supposed to. Anyway, she just gobbled down a bunch of chopped up grapes and is looking up at me, perky as can be. She still sleeps with her head pretty much upside down but I think we are on the right path. so can I put her back in the coop or keep her in the house a bit longer? I have to admit, I kinda like having her in the house, she's so sweet but I'll be goldurned if I'm gonna change chicken diapers! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jeannieo

jeannieo Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    anyone have an opinion on this? [​IMG]

3. jeannieo

jeannieo Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    hellooooo? anybody out there?

4. jeannieo

jeannieo Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    I give up

5. JayDe

JayDe Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    Sorry no one responded to you. I have a similar situation. My silkie has wry neck and we kept him in the house on meds for almost 4 weeks and now he no longer tucks his head down, it's still slightly bent though. He's still taking meds but I put him back in two days ago with his 2 roomies (other silkies) I did decide that I wouldn't allow him around my easter eggers anymore since that's who pecked him and gave him wry neck to begin with. I didn't read about your bird, so I don't know what breed/cause of the wry neck. I didn't want to deal with this again, so keeping him only with silkies, I think is the safest. Good luck!

6. jeannieo

jeannieo Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    thanks for responding! My girl is a silver penciled cochin and my theory is that when she went broody, I don't think she was getting the proper nutrition so I'm giving her 400 mg. vitamin E 2X daily, selenium twice, B complex once a day and polyvisol once. She is much better, her head is almost straight when she's walking around but still tilting slightly and upside down when she sleeps. I'm putting her in with her roomies after she gets her breakfast and bringing her in at night for her supper and having her sleep in the house. I'm so happy that she is recovering! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  7. JayDe

JayDe Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    I'm glad to hear she's recovering. I think sleeping inside until she's upright at night is a great idea=) Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: