Recovery from Egg Bound

vnycum

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2019
I have a 1.5 year old RIR. Three weeks ago, she became egg bound. We were able to help her get the egg out. It was right at the opening of her vent. The egg was huge! Way to big for a smaller girl. The next day she passed a soft shelled; amazingly not broken egg. Since that time she hasn’t laid a single egg. Her appetite is great pooping normal, drinking normal. She molting now as well. She is very patchy. She’s been separated for this whole time. She was also given penicillin G for 5 days after her problem. I’m not sure if the lack of egg laying is because of molting or if she’s still healing and her body isn’t really to start again. Anyone with this happening before?

Keep in mind that egg binding more often than not involves two eggs coming too close together. It's never enough to assume it's resolved when one egg comes out. Another is often close behind. That's been my experience over thirteen years. Three egg-bound hens all had two eggs involved.

I think your hen isn't laying because she's molting, and it was likely onset of molt that triggered the egg issue.

Back
Top Bottom