recovery time to get back to 99.5.... how long is too long? Ventilation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nmm2112, Feb 19, 2013.

1. nmm2112

nmm2112 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    The kids and I have built an incubator out of a styrofoam cooler and have used a dimmer socket to allow me to get our 25watt bulb to put out the right amount of heat to get our temp to 99.5 --- however, when I open the lid (like to turn the eggs) the temp plummets to 94 degrees and takes an hour to creep back up to 99.5....

any thoughts/tips/

Also we poked 8 pencil diameter sized holes in the lid for ventilation. Will that be enough?

Thanks so much!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A hen will get off the nest once a day to defecate, eat and drink. That negates one of your turnings. Now for the other 1 or 2 each day.
    Maybe go to a 40 watt that will bring it up quicker and dial it back once it's close.
    I would tape over all but 2 holes and poke one on opposite sides near the bottom so the "hot air rises" phenomenon can take hold. It will draw air in and out the lid.

3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Do you have eggs in this thing yet? Where do you plan to put the eggs, ie: on the bottom, on a rack inside etc. It will all make a difference, because I suggest you put holes at the bottom so you have some air flow. Hot air rises so as it does it would pull air in from the bottom (that's ventilation). You probably can tape over some of the holes on the top, if you have holes in the bottom sides. It probably will change how you light works & you may have to do some more adjusting. Have you figured out how to get humidity in the bator? Lotta questions, huh?

4. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Heat sinks would also be helpful in this instance. Fill several jars with water and seal them (or use very clean rocks) and put them in your 'bator. These will help to stabilize temperature swings as well as bring the air back up to temperature quickly.

5. nmm2112

nmm2112 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Great idea about the heat sinks!

No eggs in it yet, but they should arrive in 4 or 5 days...

I'm planning on having the eggs on a rack a few inches off the bottom... I have a small dish of water at the bottom for humidity and the last few days I was going to add (more surface area) another dish/sponge...

So, looks like I should tape up some of my holes in the lid and place a few at the bottom....

: )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by