Recurring crop problems

Melissa Sakata

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2016
HELP!

My 12 week old Ameraucana continues to have crop issues. He had impacted, then sour crop a couple weeks ago. After he got better, we decided he could go back on the dirt in his chunnel.

He ate a lot of dirt and got impacted crop AGAIN. He has access to fresh crumbles, water and I even provide fresh shredded/chopped greens.

I have moved his chunnel back on concrete AGAIN, so he has no access to dirt or grass.

It is the blue one that is sick.

Will my chicken continue to have crop issues throughout his/her life? Will I have to keep my chickie out of dirt forever? I have 2. One is flourishing, the other one is not.

I have a small coop with 6 young pullets not laying yet, and therefore these 2 are not ready to join the flock due to size.

I am VERY frustrated and do not know what to do. Any comments or suggestions would be sooooo helpful. I just started keeping chickens in late June and I need a solution.

Is grit available at all times

It has been provided since the first crop impaction.

My friend who breeds them, keeps hers on dirt and she does not provide any, and said I didn't need to because they would be able to forage for it. I have provided grit to the older flock since day 1, and now I wish I would have done the same for these little ones.
1f629.png

To be fair, it got the impaction from eating its bedding (shavings). They now have puppy liners as their bedding. Maybe if it had grit it might not have gotten so bad.

Personally i would try to pick up a vitamin supplement like Sav-a-Chick just stuff for chickens that has vitamins i think they might be eating the dirt because there not getting enough nutrition

Personally i would try to pick up a vitamin supplement like Sav-a-Chick just stuff for chickens that has vitamins i think they might be eating the dirt because there not getting enough nutrition

I give them Rooster Booster (Vitamins & Electrolytes w Lacto Bacillus and a drop or 2 of Nutri-dench in their water, fresh Daily.

Back
Top Bottom