Recurring impacted crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5templetonchicks, Apr 4, 2018.

1. 5templetonchicks

5templetonchicks In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2018
    Several weeks ago I brought my14 mos old hen to the vet to help clear her impacted crop. It was so bad that they operated on her crop by cutting a small opening and emptying it. She healed quickly, and resumed all her chickeny ways. She even started laying again, something she had not done for several weeks. I thought she was going to be fine, but now I see that she is impacted again, and feeling very poorly. I can not afford to spend another $400 with another vet visit. Has anybody had experience with this? Should I just have her put to sleep? I’m so unhappy about this, and I just hate to see her suffer. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

2. Angeline1978

Angeline1978 Songster

May 22, 2016
    Indiana
    She is suffering Everytime it happens. If you cull her it doesn't change her suffering. Have you tried different foods? If you have might be time to humanely put her down.

5templetonchicks likes this.
  3. kissezmychicken

kissezmychicken Songster

Mar 13, 2017
    I just paid $430 for my hen on Monday! I get your dilemma. I sure hope mine doesn't do it again. What was yours impacted with? Mine was grass..

4. kissezmychicken

kissezmychicken Songster

Mar 13, 2017
    If she has her out to sleep, it ends her suffering..but are you sure she's impacted?

5. 5templetonchicks

Feb 2, 2018
    Yes, mine was impacted with straw and grass. It was so gross. Poor thing. But I’ve been sooo careful not to give my girls anything that might get tangled in their crop. The problem is that since she had the surgery, I’m afraid to massage her crop, for fear of breaking open the barely healed incision.

6. 5templetonchicks

Feb 2, 2018
    Pretty sure, and possibly with a sour crop to boot. Her crop is HUGE and soft and squishy.

7. GTNB

GTNB Hatching

Jul 22, 2017
    I have the same problem. One of my chicks, roughly about 11 or 12 months old, developed an impacted crop. I took her off food, only water for 36 hours, and the impacted area went from being soft and squishy to being hard like a tennis ball, and I could feel the gravel inside. Took her to the vet, she had surgery, recovered very quickly, and seemed fine and dandy. Inside her crop the vet found a long (~4 inch) piece of plastic from the feedbag, and a lot of gravel. A month later... it's back. She's inside, has been off food for 24 hours, crop is ball-like, hanging, and full of gravel again. Surgery again??? Any ideas anyone? Thx.

8. GTNB

GTNB Hatching

Jul 22, 2017
    Inside their house they have wood chips, outside in the run it's all sand/gravel. They can go inside and out all day long, at night they're inside only. They also have access to oyster shell and some grit inside.

9. 5templetonchicks

Feb 2, 2018

10. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma ♡Ducks♡, enough said.

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    There is a thread on here where a woman does surgery on her chicken who had an impacted crop. She shows pics and explains the process on how to do the surgery yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: