recurring sour crop, need home remedy advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FabulousMandy, Oct 16, 2009.

1. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    My australorp has sour crop. Again. This is the second time she's had it in the span of about 3 months (she'll be a year old this november, btw).

The first time I panicked and brought her to the vet. We were given some pills to take care of the slight infection they detected through blood work, and that seemed to clear it all up.

A couple of days ago I noticed her crop getting distended again, and it started out being really soft and malleable, but today after her morning forage it got really hard.

And I know I should probably keep her in the coop/run while she's less than healthy, but it's been raining so much here the chicken run has turned into a gigantic mud pit, so out they went this morning so I could take care of that nightmare.

When I first noticed it I made her throw up to see if that would help. (it didn't). Yesterday and today I've put some olive oil soaked bread crumbs in her crop to get things moving, I gave her some organic plain yogurt this morning to help fight whatever bacteria may be in there, and this afternoon I vigorously massaged her crop (which started out being about the size of a softball but I got it down to a little smaller than a baseball and it's much softer).

Is there anything else I can do at home to make her better? I spent $500 last time at the vet on pills and overnight saline flushes and I simply cannot do it again. I should also mention she had an x-ray done at the vet which showed no blockage or abnormalities.

Also, are there any medications to help sour crop that I can order online?

This sucks so much, I'm so tired of her being sick. And of course she happens to be my favorite bird [​IMG].

So, if anyone has fought sour crop before (and hopefully won!) please give me some advice. I'm really running out of steam.

2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry your girl is sick. [​IMG] I haven't had to deal with sour crop, but I was wondering if you put Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar in the water. It seems like that would help tremendously...it naturally kills bacteria and it boosts their immune system. I use it on a regular basis to help keep their water clean, plus the health benefits for them.

3. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I usually put about 4 tablespoons of ACV in their waterer every time I change it out. I haven't done it for the last couple of water changes because... I'm lazy. lol. But that's a great idea, thanks! Do you think I could give her a shot of diluted ACV directly into her crop via oral syringe?

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

If you know how to put it in her crop without drowning her, then I would say DO IT! I'veread that it's easy to accidentally get it in their lungs instead of their crop when you force liquids, so it would make me nervous...

5. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    ACV should help some you can order nystain online I think it is called Medistat. Maybe since you have already taken her to the vet your vet will let you just buy the meds.

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I traced sour crop in my flock back to my galvanized waterers. I did a ton of research online and found that the zinc they use to galvanize them can leech into the water and cause problems.

Since I switched to plastic, no more problems. I can (and do) clean them with a 10x1 bleach solution every other day. Something you can't do with metal. With the galvanized waterers you also can't add ACV to the water it will strip the zinc out and make them rust.

I was lucky to find a vet who would mix up some Nystatin, the label says 1,000.000 IU, 2cc a day. You could also try LA200, that's liquid auromycin it's an antibiotic you can get without a prescription. Do a 1/2 cc in the breast muscle once a day for a week.

7. jewelz48

jewelz48 New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    I have a pet Pigeon, and I know this is all about Chickens in here, but I'm desperate and looking for some answers. She's stopped eating, drinking water and pooping and I don't know whats wrong. I read about your bird's crop and wondered if this could be her problem as well, do you think it could be? sorry to bother you, but I'm really worried about her and don't know what to do or who to turn to. Our Vet out here is closed until Tuesday and I'm not sure she'll make it that long if I don't do something..And possible advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by