Recurring tapeworm problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TXchickmum, Feb 27, 2013.

1. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    About six weeks ago, we had several chickens with tapeworms. -dosed with Zimecterin Gold, waited 10 days, repeated. All were clear.....until yesterday. Two of our nine have them again. These chickens have the cleanest environment! -coop is cleaned daily, run is scooped three to four times per day. -attempt to keep everything nice and dry, also. They do have access to the lawn three to four times per day, and do occasionally suck down the earthworm, beetle, and ant. (We have tons of ants in this area of North Texas...) I have given the two affected Zimecterin Gold again. -am concerned, however, that giving this so frequently (if they keep getting reinfested) will not be good for them or cause some sort of resistance to the wormer rendering it ineffective in the future. Help!!!! Are tapeworms really this common??

2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    They might be getting them from another animal that's in their environment- a while bird or mouse or fleas or such.

I use DE on housing and bedding and in feed. Works well. I didn't use it and got mites.

3. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Th's WILD bird. Jeez. and food grade DE. I buy it bulk on ebay and have never been let down.

4. TXchickmum

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Birds - perhaps. We have a large number of blue jays, mockingbirds, robins, sparrows, house finches, etc. -haven't seen any evidence of rodents (and we clean like mad). Droppings would be very apparent. -no mites on the hens as they're checked regularly. Fleas - perhaps. We have a tiny indoor dog that has never been plagued by them. Each of our surrounding neighbors has several large outdoor dogs. -curtailing wild birds and potentially fleas from surrounding lawns doesn't seem plausible..... -have never used the DE due to the potential for respiratory issues (and we scoop so often, it would certainly be stirred around into the air). -am about ready to try something, though. Uggh!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE does nothing against internal parasites.
    TXchickmum, purchase valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Withhold your chickens feed for 24 hours, this will help weaken the worms. After 24 hours dose your birds orally undiluted 1cc valbazen, use a syringe withut a needle to administer the liquid. Then wait 4 days, withhold their feed on the 5th day and dose them again 1cc valbazen on the 6th day. Repeat this procedure a third and final time.
    You CAN sprinkle DE on the soil to help cut back on the insect population, but there are no guarantees. Additionally DE is useless if the soil is moist or wet until it dries.
    Question: How much of the zimectrin gold did you give your infected birds? I'm also wondering if there are other infected birds. Normally it's best to worm the whole flock at once. For large flocks, they can be split in half and kept seperated. Dose half one day, the other half the next day.

6. TXchickmum

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    The bantam received approximately a BB sized amount. She was clear today. The standard hen received a pea sized amount. I haven't seen any segments in any of the dropping of my other seven hens. The two I dosed yesterday had segments in their droppings. I have monitored the flock very closely. (I dosed all nine birds six weeks ago and the Zimecterin Gold worked well.)

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It sounds like you've done a good job, and just have a stubborn case of tapes. Tapes ARE difficult to get rid of for sure. If you wish, give your two birds one more round of z-gold, a little larger dose. After that, consider the valbazen if you see segments again.

8. TXchickmum

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely heed the recommendations. If the Z-Gold doesn't do it, we'll dose with Valbazen. (probably will start alternating wormers, too, in the future) We are in the process of roofing our run to eliminate moisture. (currently covered with wire to keep hawks at bay, but it doesn't make for a dry run during Texas spring weather...)

9. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    All my animals are wormed with DE- food grade. I mix it with their feed and it's worked to expel intestinal parasites from new animals we've taken on. It actually works quite well if used regularly.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by