Recycled Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NHChickengirl, Oct 29, 2013.

1. NHChickengirl

NHChickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    In the Spring I was given a Coop that belonged to a Friend of Mine's Father who passed away a few years ago. They were excited to see this coop would be used again. It was solid but very ugly. I placed some ads on my Freecycle group sight searching for Roofing, Siding and Window Materials. I did Score 2 1/2 Bundles of beautiful Architectural Roofing and Roof Paper, Drip Edge and Tyvek. We did have to Buy a new Window but got one that has a dent in it for $20.00 instead of $ 60.00 and Some Siding. Last Sunday we worked on the Front of the Coop and replaced the window, Removed 1 of the doors and Re Sided it. Moral of the story : Even if it looks Ugly you can make it Pretty for Cheap money.. We put the Fencing on the Inside of window which now opens from the outside, as climbing into the Coop to open and close the window wasn't fun .. We still have more work to do but look at the difference already..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dreyadin

Dreyadin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    Nice work! It looks almost like new and something you want people to notice.

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Great job [​IMG]!! What about pictures of the inside?

4. NHChickengirl

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    2 Nesting Boxes, I put Linoleum on the floor and on Poop Board

[​IMG]

Having a Poop Board gives them more floor space to run around, and it that is really the only place they seem to poop so clean up is a breeze. I had just tossed shaving to the Poop Board in this picture, but that all falls through as soon as they climb up there.

[​IMG]

There is a vent on the back wall.

[​IMG]

This is during the refacing of the Front wall. We built a secure outside area for when we are not home.

[​IMG]

5. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Looks good so far and you can't beat free, nice to see some fellow new england creativity, keep the pictures coming as the work goes on.

6. NHChickengirl

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    The backside before and after[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG] more before and after pictures. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    You've done a great job! Do your chickens play on the tire swing??

8. NHChickengirl

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    The chickens loved walking across the tire when it was sitting in the ground ( that was why I decided to add it into the secure outside area) but don't seem to go on it now that it is off the ground. Can't win.. I am thinking maybe once the snow gets here they will like being off the ground..

9. Dreyadin

Dreyadin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    Wow.. love it! Seriously.. the coop is lovely!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by