Recycled coop- Upgrade advice!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KTDennis, Mar 23, 2017.

1. KTDennis

KTDennis New Egg

Mar 14, 2017
    [​IMG]

We were given this beauty and I'm trying to find the best way to make it work for our 4 chicks. Advice on how to add the door, nesting boxes, and a run would be appreciated! I have about 10x8 room for the run if it's attached. Not sure what fencing is best and if I should cover the intire top or??

Thanks in advance!!

2. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    I think you have a good project on your hands, it should be fun! I would add a 'people' door to the other side opposite the chicken door. Maybe have a nesting box on either side of that door when you walk in, then the roosts above their door (with a poop-catching tray/tarp under it but above the door).

Do you already have a run?

3. KoopOnTruckin

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    Also, I would put a top on the run if it's small enough, it will keep them in and predators out. You can still free range them if you want.

4. KTDennis

KTDennis New Egg

Mar 14, 2017
    I don't have a run yet, trying to decide if I should build it straight off the sides (attached to the coop) or a fence around, maybe just attached to the back. My first thought is to cut out a larger door from where the small door is now. Big enough for me to get in... then maybe but a dog door or something on that door to open close at night? I'm building this myself, and I'm hardly handy with a skill saw, so trying to keep it simple. Mostly deciding on how to best attach a run and how to design it.

5. KoopOnTruckin

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    If you do the run right off the back where the chicken door is now, you'd be golden. It's a nice start for sure, now the fun part - customizing it!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

How big is it, in feet by feet by feet?
    There's nothing there for scale but I'm guessing it's a roofless dog house?

Adding your location to your profile would really help us give better advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by