1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Recycled coop, where to start???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickadee28, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Chickadee28

Chickadee28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    Here is where I am at: Behind our pool house is a huge stack of wood, mostly 5ft pieces of fence material and a few 8ft long post type boards. This stack of wood was here when we bought the house, I actually had kind of a fit about it and was going to pay to have it hauled away, I am glad I never got around to it! I have spent a little time sorting boards and they all appear to be usable. I have looked at a lot plans and none of the sizes I have work into a plan. It is ok to kind of "wing it"? I considered just buying all new wood, I just hate to do that with a huge stack of usable wood. I really don't have a preference as to style, I just want it big enough to stand it for easier cleaning. I was thinking that 8x8 would be a good size. Any advice?

2. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Well, winging it is certainly fine. I suspect that a lot of us do exactly that. Unfortunately in my case, "winging it" meant there was no real plan and the project really grew legs and got out of control. Became far more expensive than I planned, despite using a trailer load of used lumber that I got for almost free and siding that I paid no more than 1/2 price (and some less.)

8x8 is a large shed and uses a fair amount of lumber. Below is the materials list that we started with when that was the size of the project we planned. It immediately grew to a 10x12 with vinyl windows, and much unnecessary extravagance, so the list probably tripled, but you can see what the plan started at.

It sounds like you have the leftovers of an old fence (boards and rails), and an 8x8 will take a bit more than just those boards. You should probably draw the plan on paper, or get someone to help, and think about what lumber the project will require. Then at least you go into this with a sense of where you are going and what the approximate costs will be.

Here is the material list (df= doug fir, pt= pressure treated):
    2=4"x6"x12' pt.;
    7=2"x6"x10' pt.;
    29=2"x4"x8' doug fir(studs will work and are usually cheaper).;
    4=2"x4"x10' df.;
    11=2"x4"x12' df.;
    2=1"x4'x8' utility(df.);
    5=2'x4'x12' utility(df.);
    4=3/4"x4'x8' cdx plywood.;
    11=4'x8' sheets of exterior siding.
    7=28''x12' corragated roofing.
    5=2''x2''x8'df.;

hardware;
    10=2"x6" joist hangers.;
    5lbs=sinkers.;
    5lbs=7penn. galv.common nails.;
    2lbs=roof screws with washers.;
    1llbs=2''deck screws.;
    1lbs=3"deck screws.
    plus hinges latches, etc...pierblocks or cinder blocks?

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You might want to take a look at some of the coops that have been built using recycled pallets. They're made with boards, rather than plywood, for the walls. It might also help you to count the boards you have, to get an idea of how big a coop they'll make on there own.

4. Chickadee28

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    I think I am going to get all of the wood out and stack it, take an inventory of what I have. I need to get on it, it is supposed to snow today! My FIL told me to get it indoors for the winter and stack it up so that it would not be warped and wet when we go to use it in early spring.

5. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Mine is mostly recycled material, left overs from other projects and a lucky find at a home improvement store, but it all started from a 4x6 pallet and I did "wing it" (no pun intended of course) and it came out O.K. (click on the link below if you want to see my creation. But if nothing else, you can construct the run out of the lumber and doors to get in and out, ladders for roosts, etc. I wish my house would have had a pile of lumber when I bought it. There are a lot of great looking coops on here, but some times your imagination can be the best guide. Good luck!

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    How many chicken do you plan on housing and what kind of breeds? I wish I would have built my coop bigger, so I could expand the flock in the spring.

7. Chickadee28

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    I am thinking of ordering 8 chicks, 6 standard cochins and 2 EE's, all pullets. So for 8 birds I should have at least 32 sq ft of coop space. I figure with an 8x8 coop they will have plenty of room. Cochins are big birds so I figure they might need more than the standard 4 sq ft. I am also planning a run(8x20) and they will be allowed to free range while supervised in the fenced in yard. Since we are in a subdivision I won't really have the option to expand much more than 8 birds.

8. Chickadee28

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    Muddler 6- I like your coop, are those vents the ones that are used in homes for a return vent? Do they do the trick for ventilation?

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I put two of those type vents in sides of my coop near the roof. My hubby said as soon as he cut the square out he could feel the heat coming out from the inside. My coop was getting temps near 100* inside and with two of those style installed they helped bring the temps down near 90*. I wish I had him put two more in that way all four side would have had them.

10. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    The vents are the kind you use on sheds, got those at Lowe's, pretty cheep too. I have one 2 inch round one on the opposite side. They seem to do pretty well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by