Recycled Pallets (PICS of Finished Projects) - Please post yours.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuntrygirl, Jun 12, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    We pick up tons of pallets and pull them apart and keep the wood for any project that comes to mind. We have NEVER bought new lumber from anywhere to build anything. Budgeting is always important to me, so finding innovative ways to save money is top priority and recycling almost everything is a cool way to not break the bank.

Here are a few pics of a something that was made from recycling pallets this weekend. It took about an hour to make. Total cost to make the convertible park bench/picnic table was $4.00. The $4.00 was for 2 hinges @ $2.00 per hinge. I was hoping to find some free hinges but I didn't have any laying around. [​IMG]

This bench/table (along with another one placed on the other side) will be placed under our huge pecan tree and will be used when we have cook-outs. A total of 6 people will be able to eat at this table. Benches and tables for the little guests (kids) that come over will also be made. Chairs are next weekend's project.

If anyone is a recycler and would like to post pics of anything that they have made from pallets or other recycled materials, please feel free to post here. It's always nice to see how others recycle.

Simple bench without the back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Convertible park bench
    [​IMG]

Convertible park bench that folds into a picnic table.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    That is very cool!

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Well, first of all, very cool! [​IMG] LOVE that convertible bench/table, I want one!

Secondly, you must get far nicer pallets where you live than I do... mine don't have wood nearly that big or nice. [​IMG]

4. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I agree, I haven't seen any pallets around here with wood like that! And what a cool bench/table!

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG] I agree, if I had wood like that from pallets we wouldn't have to go to the big box stores for wood [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks.

Here is a list of some of the companies where we get pallets and shipping crates from. Maybe you all may have some companies like these in your areas.

Glass companies (TONS of nice pallets.)
    Implement/Farm businesses (They get a lot of things in shipping crates and they just want the big shipping crates gone.)
    Car dealerships. (They also have large shipping crates.)
    Furniture stores (They have great pallets and the wood is brand spanking new.)

In addition to these companies, I also stop by places that are building homes, new businesses, etc. and ask if they will be "throwing away" any lumber. And the answer is always yes. I tell them to keep the leftovers on the side for me and I will pick them up the next day. They workers don't like loading the lumber up to throw away, so when people ask for the leftovers, they are more than happy to give it to you.

I have also gotten free stuff from workers who are building steel metal buildings. They have leftover new tin. The new tin that we get is used for chicken house, etc. Also have gotten boxes and boxes of many different types of nails and screws.

Craigslist also has a lot of free giveaways.

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
  8. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Wow, I thought I was pretty good at reusing materials, but you have me beat by a mile! Those are fantastic creations using recycled material! [​IMG] I love that metal covered feeding trough.

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Wow, I thought I was pretty good at reusing materials, but you have me beat by a mile! Those are fantastic creations using recycled material! [​IMG] I love that metal covered feeding trough.

Thank you. The sheep love their feeder. The chickens still try to jump up and eat from it though. [​IMG]

10. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Wow!!! I'd love some other ideas for pallets. I have a friend that can get several for me. Love the bench!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by