Recycled Roof ideas..?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bleenie, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

So far the new coop/house i am building is totally out of recycled materials, with the exception of the hinges & padlock thing. We were actually even given all the brand new screws that I am using [​IMG]

I finally got the door hung last night and now i need to put the roof on. I have a piece of OSB 'plywood' that i can use for it but was wondering what Recycled Materials you guys have used for actual roofing?

2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    OSB would work here in Arizona because it hardly ever rains, but in Washington it does. OSB will deteriorate when exposed to constant moisture. Look for some tin to cover it.

Rufus

3. chrissum

chrissum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    NWMO USA
    Try the local lumber yards and ask if they have any busted bundles of shingles, usually they will sell these at a good discount because contractors will not use them on a major project, I got a busted bundle for a patch job for about half the cost of a good bundle.

4. kylara70

kylara70 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Re-use anything waterproof over the OSB. YOu could use tin, old greenhouse fiberglass panels, cut and flattened soda cans, etc.

Check out www.instructables.com for LOTS of recycling ideas for roofs. Just type in chicken coop and you will find GREAT ideas!

Carol

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I used (Re-used) old tin. It was recycled at least twice before I put it on our barn, had to use a lot of tar patch to get it not to leak, but was cheaper than buying new tin.

6. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I went to my local lumber store and asked for their "cover sheets" for their metal roofing. They gave me 2 sheets for FREE. Sometimes the corners are a little bent and may have a few scratches, but FREE is always good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by