Recycled wood coop!

shmccarthy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Michigan
I needed to build a new chicken coop for my chickens, but I ha no idea where to even start. Looking at already built coops online, I decided those were out of my price range and I needed to come up with something fast. I wanted to finish it before the end of this month before I went on vacation, and we really cracked down this week. We searched the garage and attic top to bottom and came up with some mismatched plywood, some spot siding, and various wooden beams. It was a start. We also found some spare shingles and a few sheets of plexiglass.
My stepdad found an old table like structure in the house he is rebuilding and we used it for the starting point.

I didn't get pictures of progress before this, but this is what we started with. We found a round wooden beam and put it in for the main roost bar. We also pieced together the plywood for the walls and used two solid sheets for the floor on each story.

The only thing we spent money on was the hinges, latches and handle. This is the bottom floor where the nesting boxes will go.

We built some wooden frames and mounted the plexiglass on it. We built and shingled the roof and used the plexiglass piece as the top door flap.

This is the wall that will go against the run. One part is a bit uneven, but we fixed it. Not bad for being cut with a chainsaw!

A horse farm down the road was throwing out a lot of old fencing. I picked up as much as I could and loaded it into my truck. We took the fencing off the posts and decided to use it as siding.

We finished siding the coop and picked up latches at the hardware store.

We will probably stain the wood.

The top door/window, finished and latches put on.

The bottom egg hatch :)

This is what the egg hatch looks like opened. I think russell had some "renovation ideas" for the door. (Note the coop is going to be set on cinderblocks so it doesn't sink or rot. It will also make opening the door easier).

We found some carpet in the attic and made the ramp carpeted. (What luxury!)

Grand total $28 for the entire coop! We still are going to stain the old wood and paint the newer looking wood. Thanks for checking out my coop!

There's one on the inside bottom part. I'll have to make one on the top too. The bottom chicken door to the run is not going to have a way to close, I'm just keeping both my coops open to the run. I just needed mainly another place where they can get out of the weather and a better place to lay. :)

Back
Top Bottom