1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Recycling Eggs...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Quizcat, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Quizcat

Quizcat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Just wormed them with Safeguard, and am waiting the ten days before I actually eat any of the eggs again. Can I hard boil their eggs day to day and just feed them to the chicks? Should I just mash them up, shells and all? I suppose their shells are good for them to ingest since I know I should be giving them some oyster shell supplements once in a while. Thanks!

2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I don't know about giving them the safeguarded eggs, but I would do it. I'm not a purist when it comes to animal husbandry! I do what works, and don't worry about the small stuff. My animals seem to live forever - and I don't vet them unless I HAVE to. I'm the same with myself, though. About the shells - I don't think the chicks need the shells yet, the laying hens do. I always save my egg shells in a brown bag, let them dry, and crush them up and give back to the hens. I've never bought oyster shell. I also give them coffee to keep them laying! I wonder if this set of hens will live 9 years like my last ones - and I never wormed them, either - - go figure.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    You said chicks. Are they full grown chickens or chicks. I fchicks, I would not feed them oyster shell or egg shell, just grit. If full grown, go ahead, I do and they lovew them and have never eaten their fresh eggs.

4. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    NanaLantana- Can you tell me more about feeding em coffee grounds? I've never heard of that....but I'm a newbie too..... [​IMG]

5. Quizcat

Sep 29, 2011
    Quote:I affectionately call them "chicks," but they've been laying now for about two months, so they're actually mature birds...

6. Quizcat

Sep 29, 2011
    Quote:My brother-in-law has never wormed his either, and he's had 'em for many years. There's a huge percentage of people that don't worm. I just do it to cover all my bases. Actually, the only reason I learned about worming was after hearing the advice from a humane society worker one day when I happened to be out at one of their rescue farms.

I had acquired to Roosters that I had not intended to purchase, ones that were represented to me at Orscheln's as pullets. But, later, of course, the developed a distinctive crowing habit. I had no interest in Roosters, so the rescue ranch took them off my hands and gave them a good home. These birds are also pets for my grandkids, so I had to dispose of the Roosters in a thoughtful and kind way...too many difficult questions from sad eyes to deal with it any other way.

Can you believe that the commercial producers do not worm them either. FDA says it isn't necessary since their feet never physically touch the ground. Commercially produced chickens are cooped up, and can barely turn around in their cages. So, the issue of picking up worms is virtually non-existent.

And, I would enjoy knowing about the coffee theory myself...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by