recycling feed bags

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mxpres, Feb 27, 2009.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    50 pound laying crumbles come in heavy double layer bags,empty they fold out flat and thick,has anyone thought about using them to insulate a coop ceiling.staple them to the rafters?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Are they paper or plastic?

3. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    We spread them in the roost and coop floor then cover them with shavings. Makes for easy clean up. [​IMG]

4. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    mine are paper

5. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I'm doing alot and I mean olot of remodelling and I've been saving mine for several months in preparation. I use them to put old building material into them for the trip to the landfill. They work great for broken glass. They don't cut easily.

jeremy

6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i have saved ours for trash and spring cleaning. ours are paper too.

edited to say: i also was saving for winter to insulate my hanging pot plants. but they would not fit around the baskets [​IMG] so that idea went flat real quick.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I fold mine in half and put a hole in them to place them over the feeder on the line that holds it so that it shields the food from their poo... works great and lasts until the next bag is empty [​IMG]

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I use them to clean the yard, put over the windows in the coop, line the dog house, use for mulch under trees, and Pudster uses them for cat toys.

9. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I use them to store dried grass clippings for nesting material. You have to let the grass grow a bit long, but thats not a difficult prospect.

10. mbrobbins

mbrobbins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Powder Springs, ga
    I use them to line the wood floor of the coop and cover them with pine shavings, when I clean the coop the dirty litter goes in the mulch pile for recycling. the 3 layers of paper that come from the sacks are folded up and saved for the garden, which I lay down in between the vegie rows, and cover the paper with hay, straw,or leaves and mulch. Keeps the weeds out from the rows, and less work on weeding the garden. So my sacks are recycled twiced!The paper in the garden will decompose by fall for tilling under again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by