Recycling plastic bags? Not what you think happens!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BearSwampChick, Jun 26, 2008.

1. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Usual path to grocery store:

Drive to grocery store, get out of car, lock car, walk in front door, turn around, go back to car, unlock car, get bags, walk back to store. [​IMG]

I guess it's a bit more exercise!

3. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Yeah, I need to do more of that walking back to the car thing! [​IMG]

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    That slide show was excellent tho, for anyone who remains unconvinced of the power of our actions/inactions. Thanks for posting!

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Those were interesting statistics, thank you for sharing that. [​IMG]

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I have been lax in taking my cloth bags... I bought them but ALWAYS forget to put them BACK in the car after going to the store.... I knew it was the right thing to do... but seeing all of that really helps drive it home. I am going to be diligent and USE all of those cloth bags I purchased months ago. Thank you!

7. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

For the longest time I thought Walmart was on our state flag because there are bags flying from so many trees along the road. [​IMG]

8. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    my problem with buying the clothe bags is they expect us to buy are own bags and the stop and shop here has 5 self serve registers now and they will have 1 or 2 cashiers/baggers so they want to supply nothing but the overpriced food. they save but will never drop prices. I am going to just request paper instead. maybe they should give a discount if you use clothe bags and another one if you self checkout and bag your own.

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* We've had problems with bag recyc at both of the Publix stores we have. DH has seen one taking the bags out of the collecting bin and put them in the dumpster and the other had put both collecting containers at the front walk next to trash cans and people were putting trash in them. It's aggravating. I spoke to a manager at the second store and they moved the containers around the corner. Don't know if it made anymore difference than that. Now I guess there was a report saying the US is selling our recyc to China anyway. . . .[​IMG]

10. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Definitely out of sight, out of mind. Unfortunately, a lot of what we recycle, especially electronics, goes to China, who of course, has a lot less stringent disposal policies than we have. And ours aren't all that stringent. It makes us feel better when we recycle (I even have to take my stuff to the rec. center) but what really happens to it? I think that's why a lot of people don't bother. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by