Recylced windows - tinting and placement ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SparksNV, Jun 28, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Still in the design phase of our coop - hope to start on it this week - trying to finalize the plans.

I have 2 recycled dual paned vinyl windows I am going to use in the coop. Coop is 8' x 4'. Back of coop is 4' and front is 5'. Windows are 30" x 50". My plan is to put a window in each long wall. Both walls will have the window opening sideways. Back window faces north and is protected by a 6 ft wood fence. Front wall faces south and is the actual front of the coop facing the yard. I can turn the front window upright and have it open up and down but then part of the window will be below the pine shavings for the DLM. The window on back wall has to go sideways (due to height of wall). Which way would you turn the front window or does it matter?

I have some left over window tinting - do you think I can use it on the windows or will the reflective nature confuse the chickens? I would have the reflective part facing outward.

many thanks!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think for your area, your window placement sounds good. I have a glass door and window facing EAST....bad idea. They're great for winters, but not for summers [​IMG] I've had to put paneling over the door and build a shutter for that window. And if YOU don't want your window tinting, send it to me, because that stuff isn't cheap...lol. You guys probably get some serious sun, so I'd use the tinting film.

3. SparksNV

SparksNV Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Thanks for the input Teach! Our west exposure is the worse! I am putting my "people/clean out door" and vents on the west - plus it is a short wall - 4 ft long. At the same place I got my windows I picked up 8 old a/c vents that open and close - so I can close some during the winter if needed.

4. Hugerat

Hugerat In the Brooder

May 14, 2010
    What are the basics for window placement. I am in the Chicago area and they coop I am planning will be on the West side of an existing yard shed. Figured I would have a window on the South and West walls at least one of which or both will be removable for clean-out and maybe replaceable for big screen doors(inserts) in the warm weather.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:A window to the south side would be great! East and west windows are always iffy, based on your location. Ideally, you'd probably benefit from an east side benefit due to your winters, but that's not possible. So you'll do fine with a western window too, although depending on your summers, you may need tinting or something to help limit evening sun. The thing with windows is that you and always block them off if they let too much heat/sun in during the summer (I built a shutter/awining that opens vertically, which will be removed come cooler weather). To me, the benefits of windows anywhere far outweigh the negatives...

6. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Quote:Are your windows horizontal sliding windows or single hung or double hung? If they are single or double hung windows becareful turning them on their side. This style of window has a spring device that assists in raising the sash and keeping it up. If you lay a single/double hung on it's side the sash will slam open when unlocked. A sliding window does not use a spring assist so turning it on it's side the sash will not stay open without a piece of wood or something to prop it open. I hope this helps!

7. SparksNV

SparksNV Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    being that I don't know much about windows (the single vs double) - I will try my best to explain. When we removed both windows they were installed vertically - ie 30" across and 50" tall. The window slides up from bottom towards the top to fully open the window. They both look relatively new. I don't think I will have a problem with the window slamming shut if I install the window horizontally ie 50" wide and 30" tall with the window sliding open from side to side.

Does this make sense? and what do you think?

8. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Quote:A single hung means the bottom sash operates and a double hung means both the top and bottom sash will operate. The purpose of the spring in the window is to help carry the weight of the sash. When you turn a window on it's side that weight is reduced causing the spring to slam the window open when unlocked. I would suggest trying to operate the windows in this manner before installing them. Some windows may function differently and I sure hope you can recycle your windows! Let me know how it works.

9. SparksNV

SparksNV Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Thanks UBean - I will look closer at it and play with the windows later today - gotta go to work today. I will take photos as the coop is being built & post when done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by