Red 250 Watt Heat Lamp Seems WAY HOT!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrookedAcresChick, May 8, 2009.

1. CrookedAcresChick

CrookedAcresChick Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Charlton, NY
    I just got home from Agway with my 6 RIR chicks and it is sooooo hot with the lamp they recommended I was SWEATING! Can it be too hot for the babies?? I'm not sure (I'm a NEW, first time chicken owner!) if they will overheat... I'd really appreciate some tips! BOY does it seem HOT! I didn't buy a thermometer... but I'm taking my outside one now & putting it in the box to get a rough idea...
    I'll check back in a little while to see if anyone answers me.
    Please see my pages for the photos [​IMG] THEY ARE SOOOOOO freakin' cute!

PS- They need a smiley biting his nails... 'cuz that's what I'm doing!

2. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Most likely 100 watt is the highest you will need with new chicks. You will know if they are too hot. Going to sides of brooder, open mouth panting. I had mine in a cardboard box with 100 watt bulb and temps ran right around 90.

3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    if you don't have a thermometer, watch your chicks - if they are too hot, they will spread out to the far edges of the brooder - or container you have them in. too cold, they huddle in the center. just right? spread around randomly. You can lower the temp by raising the light.

Best bet is to test out set up before chicks arrive.... it takes time for the temp to build up, so don't leave the chicks for a long period of time (say a couple of hours) until you have the temp figured out.

have fun, and enjoy those chicks!

4. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    I'm usually fine with a plain old 75 or 100 watt bulb, depending on the number of babies.

5. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    What featherfoot said:panting bad

6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I'm new to brooding this year and bought the 250 watt red bulb as well. My take is that unless you are brooding a bunch of chicks in a horse stall or water troughs and can hang the lamp up from the rafters...250 watts is way too hot. I returned mine and ended up with a 75 watt reptile red bulb from the pet store. The second batch was brooded with a 100 watt and later a 60 watt regular light bulbs. Although I do believe I will stick with the red bulbs next year since I did have some feather picking going on in the groups with the white light bulbs.

7. You will need to put your red heat lamp up about three or so feet above the floor of your brooder. Even this will give you about 100 degrees F.

DO use a thermometer and place it at the bottom of your brooder where your chicks are.

If they move away from it the temp is too much. DO have enough room away from the lamp in the brooder that they can move away.

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh thank you so much for posting this! I've been driving myself crazy about the same thing. Seems like none of the feed stores seem to think that people actually brood chicks in a plastic tub in the house. I've been searching for a red light with less wattage with no luck. It's just too hot!

The response about the reptile light has saved my electricity bill. I'm going out to the petsmart tomorrow to get one! Thanks! [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have read that you can buy red light bulbs, not heat lamps, in different wattages, at WalMart. Lots cheaper than those reptile lights, and probably plenty of heat if you are brooding indoors or even outdoors in a warm climate.

Your instincts were good. You can bake them to death real quick if they are too hot.

10. Quote:Heres the problem with these. They cost a FORTUNE and they do not last over 100 hours.

Save your receipt, you are going to need it to get a new lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by