Red 250 Watt Heat Lamp Seems WAY HOT!

Thanks soooo much everyone!
I moved the lamp up about 3 feet and put a thermometer in. The heat went from 98 to 92 within about 10 mins. The chicks are spread out... and VERY chirpy! LOL!
They are making me laugh like crazy!! My son (9) doesn't know I got them yet... he's with his dad tonight... but is going to go bonkers when he sees them!
I am sleeping with them in my room tonight to keep an eye on them. I proly won't sleep much
wink.png

I'm very excited and LOVE that I found all of you! Mucho Gracias! Sleep tight!
Tomorrow is my shoppe's open house... so I'll write with an update later!
Michelle @ Crooked Acres Crafts
CrookedAcresChick

My brooder pin is a 3x4x2ft high with 1/2 square fencing for walls and ceiling. When I brought my 7, four day old chicks home I put a 250w heat lamp at just over two feet high. after watching the chicks for a little time I went and got onto BYC and started reading more about their behaviors Then going back and checking on them they were all huddled together and making alot of noise. I then cut the top of the cage fencing and lowered the lamp to 18 inches. Soon after the chicks calmed down and spread out. For the next week or so when they would sleep they would be in a circle around the center of the lamp. They are now almost 5 weeks and I have the lamp set at about 30 inches off to one side and the chicks are doing fine. I,am finishing the hen house now and will soon move them.

smile.png
I had the same problem, that heat light is for outside or something, it works great, hot as heck but way too hot. I had to keep it like 4 or 5 feet away, got red light at petco (saved receipt) and it works perfect for in my home (my room.) The feed store is the one that gave me the heat lamp, they said it would work fine- wrong!
smile.png

My reptile bulb is like the energizer bunny. I used it continuously for 5 weeks with my first batch this year. Now my neighbor has used it for two batches, about 8 weeks so far. And it's still working like a champ, sued 24/7 for over 13 weeks now. The cost was less than the 250 red bulb from the feed store. Bought it at Petsmart.

I too have a 250 watt red lamp and mine is mounted on a copper pole that is attached to my brooder. I am able to adjust the light with the attached clamp, sliding it up and down the pole as needed or as the chicks dictate. Look for all the chicks out to the side and heavy panting. Definately want a thermometer in there as a 2nd guide, the chicks being the first!
jumpy.gif

I rigged up a 2x2x4 on the side of my box to adjust it up and down. It was about 2 feet up most of the time but I think it got them used to the red light which I also use for a little heat in the coop in the winter and a regular 100w white bulb may keep them awake. I think someone mentioned once they found a 75w red Party Bulb that worked well.

Last edited:
Go to Home Depot and get an 85 or 100 watt "PAR38" (landscape type) flood lamp (red preferred). I got this tip from this site:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/brooders.html

It worked very well for me last spring and they didn't cost an arm and a leg either. I brooded my chicks in my kitchen and it was easy to hang the lamp from a string so that I could raise of lower it as needed.

Get a dimmer cord, so you can adjust it as needed. These are similar to regular extension cords, but they have a dimmer built in.
Just the ticket for adjusting the heat.

Last edited:
I hate to point out the obvious but heat is relative.

Right now as I look at the thermometer, it is 49 degrees. I NEED a 250 watt lamp.

If you are in FL, AZ, or the extreme of Alaska, you are going to need different wattage bulbs.

Trust the thermometer!

Back
Top Bottom