Red algea?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CalebtheChicken, Jun 20, 2010.

1. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    in my waterers some kind of red goop is sticking/growing on the bottoms of the pint jars, the chickens don't seem to care and I'm not really worried.
    I just want to know what it is.

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I dont know what it is either but am anxious to find out. have you been putting vitamins or meds in the water?

3. CalebtheChicken

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    no, my dad said it's just sulfer from the water... but I don't think that's it.

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I get red algae in my bird bath, it could be the same thing. I'm not sure how to prevent it, just keep the waterers washed.

5. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I get it too. I use a baby bottle brush and it takes care of it [​IMG]

6. CalebtheChicken

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Thanks everyone for the input!

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Red or bluish is potentially bad. Toxic forms of algae are that color but not all red or blue-green algae will be toxic. Green and brown are harmless. If they are plastic waters sometimes adding vinegar (usually apple cider vinegar for the health benefits) can help prevent it. However that doesn't work with really alkaline water because it neutralizes the acidic vinegar.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    There's also an orange bacteria that likes to grow in water, that can coat containers. I keep a plastic scrub brush handy, for when I refill water. It keeps things from building up. I know my husband is the type to just rinse and refill. Then you have a slime coating left in the bowls and waterers. The dogs and birds like it when I give clean water, because it comes in a clean container. [​IMG]

9. CalebtheChicken

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:The goops been in the water since the chicks were 1 week old, they are now 14 weeks old and I haven't lost any... must be the none toxic kind! [​IMG] Lucky me!

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    When you start to get any color algae growth you need to clean them well with Bleach which kills the algae, then place the waterers in the shade, I have this large tub near my hydrant and it stays full with a dilluted mix of bleach and water. when doing daily chores I just swish them in it and fill back up with water, it keeps them fresh and clean yr round.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by