Red and inflamed eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AHDCST, Nov 8, 2011.

1. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    One of my Bard Rock chickens has a very red and crusty eye. She seams to be able to see out of it but it looks painful. Yesterday I noticed little bubbles in the corner of her eye. Today the whole eye is red and crusted over. I wiped her eye with a damp cloth but it just keeps getting crusted over again. It reminds me of pink eye in humans. Any idea of what it might be or how I can help her?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Considering that just one of her eyes is crusty, I think something irritated or scratched that eye. If both eyes were crusty, then it could be a a sign of a respiratory infection.

When one of my roosters had a swollen crusty eye, I cleaned it with saline drops and then put antibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day. They sell ophthalmic antibiotic ointment in some pharmacies and pet stores which essentially has the same type of ingredients as Neosporin with out pain relief. I guess it is extra purified for the eye. I just used the neosporin in the eye because I read that it had worked fine for others. My chicken's eye cleared up in a few days.

3. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    I will try putting Neosporin on it . I have to find some without the pain relief. This chick has had this problem off and on for awhile. It would already have spread to the other 5 pen-mates by now--wouldn't it?

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Hopefully it is just a localized irritation or infection of the eye.

5. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    I wish I could post a picture of her. She looks absolutely fine, is happy and eating and drinking and pooping like normal. The only problem is the area around her eye and mouth on the left side are so swollen and tight looking. The area under the swelling is yellow. I am wondering if I need to take her and have it lanced and drained? It doesn't seem to bother her except when I clean it. I try to be gentle but it is crusty first thing in the morning and it takes a little rubbing to get it clean. I really think her sight is already gone in this eye cause she doesn't even flinch if I wave my hand in front of it. She has adapted though! She turns her little head at an angle so she can see in front of and to the left of herself! I think she feels better, my husband says don't get my hopes up. I am tired of his negativity! If she wants to get better, and she is trying, then I have to do all I can to help her! Yes the swollen area looks yellow and tight, but her temperature has come down with the aspirin laced water. She still has some warmth but not as much and the area of swelling is getting smaller. I need someone to tell me whether or not to have it drained or leave it alone and let nature take it's course. She is only 4 months old so she isn't laying yet, which is a blessing, so all her energy is going into healing. Any and all positive ideas would be greatly appreciated.

6. VNH

VNH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    One of my 5 hens also has an eye infection that started in one eye yesterday (which is now closed by the mucus) and her second eye is starting to look goopy. I separated her in a dog crate with food and water. She had been the low chicken in the pecking order for 2 months so I'm hoping that she'll improve if left with her own food and water.

I'm going to look at past forum posts to see what needs to be done.

7. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi guys, my exchequer had swollen eye, i bathed it 4 times a day with warm salty water, i got some eye drops from my pharmacy that is used for conjunctavitis. 1 x drop 3 times a day. I got baby asprin ie calpol not sure what its called in USA...he is totaly fine now, i thought he was totaly blind too but now the swelling has gone hes fine.. Hope this helps xx

8. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] I think my girl is getting better. She puts up more of a fight when I try to clean her eye. The swelling has gone down some but she still has a large area of swelling. She is eating and drinking but she is smaller than the other 5 pen mates. She acts perfectly fine as long as I don't try to touch the area around her left eye. I don't feel heat coming off of her as bad when I hold her.. I really think she is on the road to recovery.

9. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Thats brilliant im news, my chickens eye is all cleared too. its amazing what a bit of TLC Does... Well done your a good person..x

10. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] A little love never hurts anybody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by