Red and yellow feathers on barred rocks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lauren212, Aug 31, 2016.

1. lauren212

lauren212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    I have two barred rocks...about 16 weeks old. I was told they were pullets but why are they getting more and more red and yellow feathers. Only on the one side. Both have the same coloured featheres in the exact same spots. That's not normal is it? [VIDEO][​IMG]
    [/VIDEO]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Not a Barred Rock - that's a Black Sex Link cockerel.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x3

5. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I would have called that a barred rock cockerel. That explains a lot about an odd looking "barred rock" rooster that I have. Thanks for the post and info guys!

Tiwanda likes this.
  6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Ok only looking on my phone so can't see well. Is this only because of the red bleeding in? Any other clues? I am still learning here.

Tiwanda likes this.
  7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

The main clue is the Barring. The Barring gene is sex linked. To explain it in a horribly oversimplified way, the Barring gene can exist in two copies in males but only one in females (because chromosome reasons). Genetically speaking, a Barred bird is a Black bird with white Barring overtop. Two copies will have a lot more effect over the black background than one copy; and as such, birds with two copies have an overall much lighter colored appearance than birds with just one copy. Hence, in a purebred Barred Rock, males (who have two copies) are much lighter colored than hens (one copy). A male who is dark-colored like a hen cannot be a Barred Rock (or any other barred bird), and instead must be a cross. In this case, the red leakage in the wing bows was the giveaway that they are Black Sex Link males. Black Sex Links are hybrids of Production Red cocks over Barred Rock hens. This produces solid black females and single barred males (one copy). Both have red leakage from the Production Red parent, in females this red shows in the hackle and breast, in males it is seen in the hackle, saddle, and wing bow.

Tiwanda likes this.
  8. lauren212

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    Great two roosters! The bigger one has lots of feathers turning golden around the neck and tail. The smaller one still only has 1 red feather but I'm guessing he's just a little behind the other one. Guess I will be trading them in for hens

9. lauren212

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some more pics closer view

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    See those thin, pointed feathers on the back, near the base of the tail? Those are the saddle feathers, and they are specific to males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by