Red angry looking skin..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Avyron, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Avyron

Avyron Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    My rooster, Napoleon, has been picking at the feathers on his foot recently and I've finally managed to catch him to take a look. He's moulting at the moment, but the skin on one leg is red raw down one side and theres a patch running up his thigh under the wing. And most of the feathers are gone, just a few scraggy stumps and new ones. All the hens are perfect, they look fine. Hes acting normal, making all his noises, mating etc but hes not the top of the pecking order (he's a bit of a wimp) and i do see hens give him a peck from time to time. Does anyone know what this could be or how to help him out?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I was under the impression that Molting season was over, are you sure he doesn't have mites or bugs?

3. Avyron

Avyron Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    He's a young rooster and seems to be still getting new "grown up" feathers (if that makes sense? Getting his adult colours, hackle and long tail feathers coming through etc. I can't see anything on him and was planning to treat as a precaution but all the hen's are totally fine.. even the big chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by