Red around eye

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nin8705, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Nin8705

Nin8705 Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Michigan
    I have a female (I believe it’s a female Pekin) who’s eyes have red around it. It’s like a tight skin around the eye, like it’s the under eye tissue. It’s not runny, oozing or pussy or look prolapsed. None of the other ducks seem to have it either. Does anyone have any clue why it’s like this or what I should do? The one side is definitely worse than the other. We did just put them back with the chickens out in the barn. Everything seems to be going good between all of them

Attached Files:

2. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Hey there, welcome to the forum

Its pretty late now, the experts are usualy on around 8am, Theyll have some good advice

Good luck with your cute duck

3. Nin8705

Nin8705 Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Michigan
    Thanks, I wasn’t really sure when the best time was being that there’s so many people on here from all over the place

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Nothing is wrong with her eye. That's normal. :frow

CaramelKittey likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

That doesn't look normal to me or I haven't seen that on any of mine. Maybe something has it a little inflamed? If you go to the feed store there is a product called Terramycin eye ointment that can most likely help.
    Its like the eye lid is irritated.
    Can she dunk her head in water to clean her eyes? @Nin8705

6. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Introducing Rosy and Posy!

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    Yeah that doesn't look normal to me either. I've had red eyelids before that were irritated, but nothing like that. I use ACV in their water to help keep eyes and nostrils clean - I'd try the ointment @Miss Lydia recommends and then maybe put ACV in the water once a week going forward to keep the eyes clean.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Yes ACV at 1 Tab per gallon of water will not sting and can kill some bacteria. Its a great tonic too.

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Looks a little puffy to me, like the underlying tissue is stretching the skin around the eye.

@staceyj any recommendations other than what has already been suggested?

9. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Do all your ducks eyes look like that?

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

I agree with the others, does not look normal to me either. If mine I would try an eye ointment like terramycin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: