1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red around eyes...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tothemoon, Oct 23, 2011.

1. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    I have an 8 week old chick with red around its eyes and missing feathers. Can anyone tell me whats wrong?

[​IMG]

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Not a clear photo, but it looks perfectly normal to me. [​IMG]

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    What kind of chicken? What breed? I have some -- different breeds develope (as they got older) more of a red area, like the comb and wattles, just a normal red "skin" around the eyes...
    The picture is not real clear, but looks "normal" to me??
    Do both eyes, the area around both eyes look the same? Do you have any other of the same breed... older? Do any of them have red around their eyes... my Cubalayas are very red and more skin around their eyes... one sister more than the other... so, varies from chicken to chicken.

Maybe a better picture, of each / both eyes, with info on what breed the chicken is, maybe someone else will see or know more than I do.

Roosters have more and are more red as well.... all chickens develop more comb, wattles, red skin area as they get older.... really does look normal to me, too.

BR Rooster... full grown:
    [​IMG]

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  4. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Also, chicks will pick and eat each others "blood" feathers.. if you are concerned with picking and pecking at each other there are things you can get to put on them that discourage that -- taste bad.

Good luck.

5. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks everyone, these are lav amer. All the lav chicks seem to look like this but the split black ones dont. They all act ok though so Im pretty sure its normal. Thanks again!

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The reason for the red face is probably less dangerous than you think. I believe you may have a young cockerel there. Boys tend to get red faces early on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by