1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red around face changing colors when calmed...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoodLuckCharlie!, Oct 5, 2011.

1. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I just saw the coolest thing! I have a Mottled Java, and she got inside the house to say hello, and so I picked her up, noticing how red her comb/face/wattle are becoming and admiring her. I was calmly talking to her and petting her, and the circular area below/behind the ear that was red, turned white. When I started moving around, it turned red again. I calmed her down again and it turned white again. Isn't that cool! Or does this happen to all the chickens? So cool.

2. Lizzy28

Lizzy28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Florida
    Mine almost does that, but sort of the opposite. Her face is usually light pink but when i pick her up her face turns red. I thought maybe she was mad at me for picking her up. [​IMG]

3. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Yeah, I was surpirsed to see it turn completely white on the earlobe, and her face does turn light too. Huh![​IMG]

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I've noticed that they'll go very pale in the face right after they lay an egg. I haven't paid much attention to what happens when I pick them up... Now I'm curious!

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Hah... wouldn't your face go pale after laying an egg? [​IMG] [​IMG] wow what in the heck was that!!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    On some birds it's really noticable. One of my older gals, a light brahma, goes very pale in the face when she's just lounging around.

7. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Quote:Hah... wouldn't your face go pale after laying an egg? [​IMG] [​IMG] wow what in the heck was that!!

[​IMG] Ha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by