Red balloon on hen.

Old Ben

Songster
Sep 23, 2018
I went outside today and one of my chickens was laying an egg, when she came out of the hen house I saw a golf ball sized red balloon type thing bellow her vent. There was an egg in the nest box, and this balloon definitely wasn’t there yesterday. Please help!

I went outside today and one of my chickens was laying an egg, when she came out of the hen house I saw a golf ball sized red balloon type thing bellow her vent. There was an egg in the nest box, and this balloon definitely wasn’t there yesterday. Please help!
Can you please post some photos?

It does sound like she may have a prolapse. Catch her up so you can examine her more closely.
If she does have exposed tissue, you will need to give her care.

Give her a soaking in warm epsom salts, clean up the vent of any poop. Dry her off, then ideally apply an anti-inflammatory cream to the exposed tissue. You can also use Hemorrhoid ointment if you have that on hand. The goal is to keep the tissue from drying out and to reduce swelling.
If it's just a small prolapse (not much swelling), you can try pushing it back in, she may retain it. If there is a good amount of swollen tissue, then just keep it moist, be patient and get your hen hydrated. She will benefit from extra calcium as well, you can give her a crushed up TUMS or a Caltrate.

Look forward to photos, then we can help you further.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

It’s either hanging from it or right above it. I can’t get a

i went out again to get a picture, and either it’s gone or she’s covering it up with her feathers. I can’t tell. Before she had her feathers lifted up around her vent, but now she doesn’t, and she’s acting more normal. What do you think? It was a bright ish red.
Can you go outside and catch her up?
You really need to take a closer look, if she has a prolapse, then it needs to be taken care of.

I lifted up her tail feathers and as far as I can tell it’s not there anymore.
That's good!
It sounds like she was able to retract it.

I would still see to it that she got some extra calcium for a few days. You can give her 1/2 tablet of human Calcium with D3 - like Caltrate. Also watch to see that she is drinking.

Check on her after she lays as sometimes a prolapse can relapse
I will. The problem with this hen is she doesn’t really like me, when I got her about a month ago she was already 1-2 years old. So unlike all the 4 month old chickens I have, she doesn’t really like even standing next to me. I was only able to check her good once she got on the roost.

Is it hanging from her vent? This could be a prolapse. Is it BRIGHT red, not pink? Can you get a photo? She will need help. If it’s a prolapse, you need to keep the tissue clean and moist and will likely need to gently push it back in. If you post a photo, we can tell you if it’s a prolapse.

Back
Top Bottom