1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Baneberries

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srenrut, Jul 4, 2016.

1. srenrut

srenrut New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    We have a flock of 13 layers, approximately 1 and 2 years in age. We found out today that yesterday our 7-year-old daughter hand fed the chickens all the berries from what appears to be a red baneberry plant.

The good news:

• Our daughter appears to be fine with no ill effects from handling the berries.
    • The chickens appear to be fine.

Questions:
    1. What, if any, symptoms should we look for if the berries are going to have negative effects on the chickens?
    2. How long should we monitor the chickens?
    3. Are the chicken eggs safe for us to consume after the chickens ate the red baneberries?

In case this isn't entertaining enough -- I'M PREGNANT.

*sigh* Never a dull moment ...

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not knowing anything about baneberries, I did a Yahoo search. They are apparently 'scary' poisonous to humans and are also toxic to chickens. I'd monitor the birds and would not eat the eggs 'just in case'.

3. srenrut

srenrut New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    At this point I'm not expecting the chickens to fall ill as it's already been 24+ hours and there are several bird species that apparently eat them with no ill effects. Regardless, we're "quarantining" all eggs starting from yesterday's batch. My husband's cousin has a former coworker with extensive poultry background so we hope to be able to get her input tomorrow. I'll post back if I get any additional information or find any of our flock belly up within the next few days.

4. srenrut

srenrut New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    The poultry person from our county extension office recommends not eating the eggs for two weeks. If the toxin from the berries is fat soluble, that's how long it will take to get out of their system.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Interesting update. Birds are fine?

6. srenrut

srenrut New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    Some have somewhat loose stools but that may or may not be directly related. They certainly aren't acting ill. Unfortunately, their previously slacking egg production appears to be going up right now so we're fixin' to throw out quite a few eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by