Red barred rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PDXRN, Nov 18, 2013.

1. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I got this puller from a co-worker who told me she ordered red barred rocks. I can't find anything on this breed. She looks more like a wyandotte but I can't tell. Any help?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Partridge Plymouth Rock have single combs Wyandotte have rose combs. Both breeds come in partridge color.

1 person likes this.
  3. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks Egg! I'll go get a picture of the comb and post it. I did have a Wayndotte rooster that had a single comb. He was the very nice to look at but mean as heck!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is likely aa error in stating the breed's name. The breed is Plymouth Rock. The varieties include Barred, White, Buff, Partridge, etc.

Likely what the person meant to say was Partridge Plymouth Rock.
    This is a common syntax error. We see the expression Plymouth Barred Rocks here, when is supposed to be stated as Barred Plymouth Rock, of course.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree with the other poster. The color is considered partridge. Breed is either Plymouth Rock or Wyandotte depending on comb type.

6. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock according to the comb..

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No, not Barred Rock.

Plymouth Rock, yes. Partridge Plymouth Rock, yes.

1 person likes this.
  8. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks Fred!

9. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    Yeah I think because Barred Plymouth Rocks are so sooo abundant any time somebody sees Plymouth Rock they just automatically put Barred along with it. A similar mixup happened a few months ago with us. We called up to see if Country Junction had any chicks for sale, the woman said, no chicks but did have a whole list of 4+ month old pullets. Among the names she said they had Barred Rocks. We got down there and the poor thing's walking all around the pen wondering to herself where all the Barred Rocks went because she swore they had some. She'd seen them on the inventory list. We both figured somebody's bought them all up already. It wasn't until just recently when I went back down there again and noticed a bunch of now 6 month old PARTRIDGE Rocks that we realized her mistake.

1 person likes this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pretty partridge rock pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by