red belly and legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by simon1969, Oct 21, 2013.

1. simon1969

simon1969 New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Hi. Can anyone help me diagnose a problem in one of my chickens. She is very red under her belly and legs and has lost her feathers. At first I thought it was just moulting but it's gone on far too long now. They've been wormed and there bed checked for mites.I have 3 birds and the red one is the main problem although the black one also has a little red patch on her leg. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Some photos would be helpful. Have you tried supplementing water with vitamins and minerals? Have you ever wormed your birds? How old are they? Sometimes heavier breeds can get sore on the breast because their keel bone rests against the roost at night. Are they large breeds? What are your roosts made of?

On the legs, do you see any raised scales? Scaly leg mites cannot be seen by the naked eye.

3. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
  4. simon1969

simon1969 New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Hi.
    Thanks for your answers it's much appreciated.
    I wormed them 2 weeks ago but am unsure if they all received the recommended amount so will do then again this week. There legs aren't scaly. They are still laying but her eggs are of poor quality as the white is very watery. I've been told to put a clove of garlic in the water to help, have you ever heard of that before? They are not big breeds and there coop is wooden. I use straw and sawdust in there beds.
    Again many thanks.
    Simon.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Suzierd/Simon1969: It could possibly be dermatitis. Avian Super Pack might help. Keep litter dry.
    Suzierd: Gout is another possibility.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would take a flashlight out to the coop after dark and check for red mites. They only come out at night, go into the wood cracks during the day, and straw can be brought in with mites in it. To check it shake the straw over white paper for any specks.

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. Which is why I've advised in the past against straw as litter. Straw attracts mites. Humid environments provide a good habitat for them too. And since straw is not as absorbent as pine shavings, I recommend pine shavings.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  8. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon

Thanks Dawg, I'll let them know.

9. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

pictures shall help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by