Red belly skin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmclean, Mar 30, 2018.

1. cmclean

cmclean Songster

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    My 4 year old hen has started hiding in the back of the run. She has had watery diarrhea and when I picked her up I noticed how bright red her belly skin is. Any thoughts?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post any pictures? She may have been pecked or she could have a fever. Is her lower belly enlarged, or has she lost weight in her breast area and overall? Is she laying eggs? Many hens her age will suffer from reproductive disorders, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites (excess fluid in the lower belly,) and cancer. I would separate her in a crate with food and water. Offer chopped egg along with her chicken feed, and they sometimes like it when you add water to their feed to make it wet. Diarrhea can be common with most illnesses. Is she low in the pecking order, or kept from food by the others?

3. cmclean

cmclean Songster

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    I only have 2 hens. I don't see any wounds on her. She was fine a couple of days ago.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I guess I meant that she could have had feathers pecked out, causing red skin. Pictures would be good.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: